TRYING TO CHANGE MOTORS IN A 1999 F350

Rate this topic

I FOUND A 7.3 FROM A 1996 F350 AND I NEED TO INSTALL IT INTO THE 1999.

IM TRYING TO FIND OUT WHAT NEEDS TO BE CHANGED AS FAR AS INJECTORS, HARNESSES, AND OTHER PARTS ETC.

THANKS YOU

There are too many differences between the two engines to list. The only way to use the 96 engine IMHO, would be to strip it down to a bare long block and transfer everything from the 99 engine. Don't forget to plug the hole in the valley where the lift pump used to be. And plug off the fuel ports in the heads that don't get used by the 99 return-less fuel system. I offer no guarantees on this advise as I personally would not attempt it. If you don't have the 99 engine to pull parts from then stop now don't attempt.

Ditto, plus the pan may be different, the front cover definitely is, the HP reservoir is, etc. Accessory holes you need may not be there. The '99 fuel filter bolts to the rear of the HP cover to holes you don't have 'cause the early FF bolts to the block. Holes might not line up. Injectors are different, which means injector strategy IS different and may not agree. '99 is split shot, '96 is not.

Proceed with caution, if you proceed at all. I wouldn't take this on because model year changes like this commonly bit you in the ass. You might get it in and find it runs like a POS because of fuel strategy differences.

Posted Image

This thread is the perfect example of why I refuse to perform engine swaps on vehicles where the owner elects to source the engine from a boneyard, unless the donor engine came from an identical model year.

I swapped a 96/97 motor into my 99 truck last summer since I couldn't justify the cost of a reman with the mileage I had. 7/8 expansion plug to plug the hole for the fuel pump. Is yours a early 99 or late 99 that it's going into? If early 99, the intake covers are the same except the passenger side has an extra port the late models do not for the MAP sensor, late 99 will need to be changed. Swap injectors since you'll be going from AA to either AB or AD injectors. Turbo, pedestal, uppipes will need to be swapped. Front cover and oil pan depending on what cover it has and the oil pump pickup. Like as they said above, the engine I got had a cracked front cover, so I ended up having to strip it down to a long block and switch all my parts to the replacement engine.