P0088...reprogram...Tsb to come.

Rate this topic

#6 is showing -15 on the fuel trim,   #2 about -8 on the power balance but showing #4 on the fuel trim.

Did you check for shiny's in the upper fuel filter? -15 fuel trims could be metal under the injector pintle.

#6 is showing -15 on the fuel trim,   #2 about -8 on the power balance but showing #4 on the fuel trim.

Did you check for shiny's in the upper fuel filter? -15 fuel trims could be metal under the injector pintle.

There are shiny particles in the upper filter housing.  This truck has a complaint of excessive fuel in the oil too.  Pulled the injectors and flipped them upside down, Every injector is leaking out the return port to some degree.  How much fuel leakage is acceptable out of these ports?  How does this prove that that injector is the cause of the fuel getting into the oil, that port drains into the return rail no the crankcase.  Will be working on replacing the hpfp.

Overfueling cylinders will wash the cylinder walls and fuel will end up in the oil that way. Anything with a negative fuel trim shows the pcm is attempting to correct for overfueling. -16 is a lot.

Connect the injectors to the rail  (upside down)using the old fuel lines, without the electrical plugs connected. Crank the engine and see if you have any leaking pintles. This will also show any leaks to return port, although they usually wont start if leaking to return.

Connect the injectors to the rail  (upside down)using the old fuel lines, without the electrical plugs connected. Crank the engine and see if you have any leaking pintles. This will also show any leaks to return port, although they usually wont start if leaking to return.

That is was I did.  Every injector leaked out the return port to some extent.  None leaked out of the pintle.  I see no leaks on the rail, lines or any area that could leak into the crankcase.  Most likely what you mentioned is the cause of the excessive fuel in the crankcase coupled with the normal regen oil growth.

The TSB wasn't a fix as much as it was a bandaid to get trucks out of warranty, it's still hit or miss and I always quote a pump anyways.  You may catch a pump starting to fail but if you release a truck with a TSB reprogram and the pump fails in few weeks wiping out a whole fuel system I would be stuck thinking that could have been prevented.  It almost happened to me, caught an ITP just starting to come apart on the last P0088 I did.  

I have to ask which two cylinders have wacked out fuel trims?

Hmm really. I've flashed quite a few of them in the last 2 years and haven't had a one come back for any other fuel system issues.

• 1 month later...