P0088...reprogram...Tsb to come.

Rate this topic

I was just told by hotline on my last Prior approval for a HP pump that I need to reprogram the PCM and resubmit if the concern re-occurs. IDS needs to be at 79.05. Performed the reprogram and concern is fixed. Now to find out what they did to work around changing the pumps.

Can't wait to see what happens when this hits other boards and people who paid retail for a pump start asking for their money back.

Sure would be nice to know what they did. Did they play with allowable parameters or did they find a different way to control the fuel pressures to prevent them from spiking high?

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting story about this. A truck rolls in with a p0088 stored in memory. But this isn't your every day truck, it's the F450 that hauls the catering trailer for the Toby Keith crew.

So I'm running the program and as usual IDS is giving me all sorts of problems like it does with every 6.4. It blanks the PCM, boots me out, recovers, then takes the reprogram like always.

For like 10 minutes I'm on the phone with this lady (who I guess is the manager of the catering company) and she's bitching at me up and down... "do you know who's truck this is???" She keeps insisting that the truck is not leaving until Ford contacts us about the ongoing problem. I told her I needed to update the pcm and go from there, it's 4:00 on a friday and we're gone in a half hour for the weekend. The truck won't even be in the same state by monday so I can't really do anything. If the code returns the high pressure pump will need replaced.

So a service director from a previous repairing dealer calls us a few minutes later insisting that they just reprogrammed the pcm yesterday for the same concern. We told them that was impossible or it would not have taken any later calibration.

So who knows what will happen with all of this. I believe Toby Keith is sponsored by Ford. Maybe they'll fly in a bunch of engineers to do my job for me.

So who knows what will happen with all of this. I believe Toby Keith is sponsored by Ford. Maybe they'll fly in a bunch of engineers to do my job for me.

Or Ford could give him a new truck if it's such a big deal for crying out loud.

I agree that if the previous dealer "just" reprogrammed the modules there should have been no update for you to install, unless their IDS level and calibrations are not up to date.

He must not carry much weight with Ford or they would be worried his food is being toted in a 6.4L equipped truck. They would have upgraded their fleet. Sell all your Toby Keith stock!

Quote:
unless their IDS level and calibrations are not up to date.

Tried to reprogram a 6.0 yesterday and IDS absolutely would not go any further until i updated to whatever the heck it's at, at the moment.

I wanted to make a recording of PCV VCV and FRP before and after and compare to see if there is a difference. Unless they just widened the failure perameters...

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone else had no luck with this TSB? I've done three since last week and nothing has changed. One set a P0088 again, it's out of warranty and getting a pump. I've got two that are in warranty and have not cleared the P1000 after 150 miles of driving. Hotline said to performed Pin Point tests M and ME.

• 3 weeks later...

They widened the failure parameters from what I understand. The over pressure was by about 200 psi I've been told by a guy who was a part of developing the solution.

I got a pump under 5/100 for the p0088.

• 2 years later...

I have a 2010 6.4 that came in today with the p0088 fault, engine light on, complaining of "limp" mode.  I road tested and can't duplicate the fault.  Ran the high pressure pump test - passed.  I called my local Ford shop and had him run the vin for this tsb.  He said it did not look like the tsb was ever done.  I reflashed with IDS, the old calibration was a 8u7a-12a650-hdb  The new cal with IDS was a 8u7a 12a650-hdc  Did the old calibration have the fix for this fault code?  I took the truck for a ride and was unable to duplicate the complaint again, but if the old cal had the "fix" then I need to price a hpfp job for the guy.  Truck has a host of other issues too - two injectors that have low fuel trims, exhaust manifold leak, complaint of fuel in the oil.  

The TSB wasn't a fix as much as it was a bandaid to get trucks out of warranty, it's still hit or miss and I always quote a pump anyways.  You may catch a pump starting to fail but if you release a truck with a TSB reprogram and the pump fails in few weeks wiping out a whole fuel system I would be stuck thinking that could have been prevented.  It almost happened to me, caught an ITP just starting to come apart on the last P0088 I did.  

I have to ask which two cylinders have wacked out fuel trims?

I get it hot by running it wide open in park for 5 to 10 minites. Le off and then when it comes back to idle, mat it again. I can usually duplicate it after a few runs up and downif there is a problem.