Locked up 6.7

Rate this topic

Customer states truck stalled while driving then would not restart, truck has 40,000 miles, engine sounds like a hydro locked 6.0/6.4, has a hard fault #3 glow plug code, this is my first (possible) major 6.7 failure any help, suggestions, previous experiences would be greatly appreciated

pull the exhaust manifold to determine if the valve cracked or dropped so you dont have to tear it all the way down these happen on the cab and chassis, i also had a broken crank on a 6.7 in a pickup the crank sheared before the number 2 main cap these engines are gravy and easy to build and install so just jump in man i have buit and tore down approx 22 so far and 1 pickup 6.7

• 3 months later...

Hey iceman, I have a 6.7 that sheared the crank dampner bolts off and spit out the oil pump in pieces. Did this happen on the one you had that broke the crankshaft? I haven't pulled the engine yet but I'm assuming that the crankshaft broke.

another tech at my store had a 6.7 cab + chassis with a big cube on the back shear the crank .... major main and rod bearing damage in the middle and then the crank just said 'no more'. i remember it was up to date on maintenance and hadn't idled its whole life.

the other couple that screwed up were bad valves on the left side from a pair of early build units. don't think they were locked up though, just dead holes

ford racer actually mine ran, sounded like shit but it ran the dampner was still bolted on it cracked the front cover i was amazed when i tore it down only thing holding the crank in was the number 1 and 5 con rods i suspected porosity or some shit it got a long block

another tech at my store had a 6.7 cab + chassis with a big cube on the back shear the crank .... major main and rod bearing damage in the middle and then the crank just said 'no more'. i remember it was up to date on maintenance and hadn't idled its whole life.

the other couple that screwed up were bad valves on the left side from a pair of early build units. don't think they were locked up though, just dead holes

As an aside - thats an awesome avatar picture.

I just got done replacing a 6.7 for same concern. 76000 miles, Came in locked up. Pulled all glow plugs, #8 broken. Removed injector and used boroscope through hole....Had a nice view of connecting rod. So much for the bulletproof 6.7 Posted Image