Any feedback on Fleet Charge Coolant

Rate this topic

As much as gold is probably not the best coolant for a powerstroke it's what's specified in the wsm and owners manual.

The problem with using a non-specified coolant is when the vehicle ends up in another shop. A better alternative might be to recommend installing a coolant filter.

I don't use that exact brand, but I am using an antifreeze that is meeting Cat's EC-1 spec. It's what I use in all the heavy trucks around here, and just easier to keep one antifreeze for me in the couple 5.9, 7.3, 6.0, as well as a couple 6.4's now, and haven't noticed any negatives with any kind of leaks appearing. The SCA precharge also doesn't make me worry about any cavitation issues, as I believe IH is using a similar EC-1 spec in their Maxxforce and VT series(maybe someone can correct me if I'm wrong) so I am not worried about incompatibility with any gaskets or seals. Just make sure someone down the road doesn't confuse it with Dexcool.

• 3 months later...

YES, ITEC is using factory fill Rotella ELC which is Caterpillar EC-1 compliant.

I am actually doing a rad swap in my 08 this week and putting Zerex branded EC-1 compliant coolant in it.

Seldom see oil cooler failures/plugging on maxxforce engines and they are similar in construction to the plate coolers used in the 6.0 and 6.4

• 7 months later...

I've run into a few trucks now with red coolant. CAT ELC is red and rotella ELC is too. I've used both. Peak Final charge is a redish orange but its EC-1 rated too and it can typically be found in parts stores. I used it one time in a pinch.

Don't quote me on it but I think fleet charge is freightliner coolant. Pink in color and not EC-1 rated.