elevated idle

Rate this topic

Isn't it called APCM (Axillary PCM)?

Yes Bruce, APCM is the Ford term for the controller... AIC (Auxillary Idle Control) is the generic term for such a device usually more associated with the vehicle hard wiring method though.

I thought there used to be a hard wired connection that you could use different resistors to select different idle speeds? From what I can find for this 1999 truck it is only 1200 RPM.

It's been a long time, but I have seen two other aftermarket options. One is a variable resistor tied into the AP sensor wiring to simulate the pedal, the other was a physical connection to the pedal that depressed it via a screw and rod set-up. You may have to do some digging to find them though.

See if these help, they are some stuff I copied and saved from another website years ago but never tried. Unfortunately, the pictures did not save in the original document for the 99-03 file. There's also the operator's manual for the FMC APCM.

Good Luck!

Posted Image

There is a body builder pig tail under the hood, group of purple wires that would interface with your pto switches. Can you use ids to program specific engine speeds? I have seen guys wire up fuel shut off solenoids to the throttle pedal to get their desired speed for pto operation. The solenoid would push on the throttle pedal with the flip of a switch.

I actually have a new/used APCM I might be interested in selling....

I found it new in box in a shed here at work. I installed it into my 7.3 to verify it actually worked but its just taking up space there and making people go "WTF is that?" Kinda neat to raise the idle up if I so desire but practical use is slim to none in a truck without a pto

Does anyone have any info on elevating idle on a '99 7.3 for PTO use. Idle currently increases about 500 rpm when PTO switch is turned on, customer would like bigger increase. any info would be appreciated.

If you waddle on over to the monkeyhouse and search the 7.3 forums for variations on the theme, you will come across a "mod" (their cure little moniker for doing things - some actually quite brilliant and some in that nether region betwixt goofy and insane).

As I recall (and we assume the standard "caution, memory thing" disclaimer is in effect) it involves putting a switch in the idle validation switch circuit and adding a resistance of some sort. Been a long time since I reviewed the procedure, but it looked fairly easy, not too intrusive and dependable.

YMMV.

• 1 month later...

I wedge a snow brush between the seat and the accelerator pedal on the trucks at work for fast idle.

Either that or send the upper packer out and don't allow it to return.