Oil Pressure Switch

Rate this topic

The oil pressure switch in these trucks is wired to the PCM and then the info is multiplexed to the instrument cluster. I have come across a question as to whether or not the 6.7L would shut down if oil pressure is lost (other than blowing up) From looking at the PCED and the OBD book and the manual I cant find anything that would even suggest such a strategy exists. Anyone know any different?

Back when I was still working on these things, I had one with an intermittent oil pressure warning on the dash. CND, so I replaced the switch and it never came back. Customer never complained about an engine shutdown, and when the warning indicator would illuminate, it would stay on for some time.

Now, that was about 17 reflashes ago... Things may have changed since then. How about disconnecting the sensor (and shorting the pins if necessary) and see how one behaves?

Not only that Brad but imagine cruising down the Interstate towing a trailer and the switch fails... and the engine shuts off. At least with a gauge and a warning you can pull the truck over safely and determine if the warning is is a really problem. I would imagine a loss of oil pressure would cause some noise from the engine.

I think NHTSA prohibits ANYTHING shutting the engine down aside from the key or an actual failure that prevents it from running. On the overtemp on the 6.4 it told you to stop safely, maybe it does the same thing on the 6.7?

Pull the wire off teh sensor when the engine is running and see what happens?

I like how the low oil pressure indicator was GREEN on the 6.4

Awesome LOL..

The oil light came on, but it was green so I thought it was OK!

When I have the oportunity and remember to perform this little experiment I will. Of course, don't let me discourage anyone else from doing this and reporting back!

I think NHTSA prohibits ANYTHING shutting the engine down aside from the key or an actual failure that prevents it from running. On the overtemp on the 6.4 it told you to stop safely, maybe it does the same thing on the 6.7?

I think your spot on here. knowing how dumb some people are they wouldn't be able to figure out what to do if their engine shutdown on its own. I think at most you would get a warning and a stop engine message then prevent a restart but I do not know the answer on the 6.7 oil switch condition

I like how the low oil pressure indicator was GREEN on the 6.4

Awesome LOL..

The oil light came on, but it was green so I thought it was OK!

Originally Posted By: Jim Warman
Have we all forgotten the "Stop safely now" message?

Nosir Posted Image

Back in 1985 and 1986 the 460 had a carburetor and electric fuel pumps and the oil sendor had two wires on it and it would shut the pumps off if there was no oil pressure. Alot of good that would do when you still had fuel in the fuel bowls to run off of.

Back in 1985 and 1986 the 460 had a carburetor and electric fuel pumps and the oil sendor had two wires on it and it would shut the pumps off if there was no oil pressure. Alot of good that would do when you still had fuel in the fuel bowls to run off of.

From my understanding, this was more to make sure it had oil pressure before supplying fuel, not to shut it down if it dropped off.

Just like the 7.3L and 6L's were never designed to shut the injection system down when the oil pump gave out, it was more of an unintended perk.

GM's were wired that way for years, also, I think it was the TBI years IIRC.

Posted Image

You are correct, and it made them easy to deplete the system of pressure before changing fuel filters.

All of the GM's I remember were wired in parallel, not series, so as long as the relay, or oil pressure switch was closed the fuel pump would run. It does not shut the pump off with just low or no oil pressure.

GM's were wired that way for years, also, I think it was the TBI years IIRC.

Posted Image

My LT1 in my Impala SS had the oil pressure switch tied into the fuel pump relay, I remember the diagram but I can't specifically remember if it was in parallel or series like someone else mentioned.

I believe they bypassed the oil press switch in start, but once in run it required oil pressure to keep the fuel pump running. GM's version of our inertia switch.

That is pretty stupid if it's accurate. You could still have a collision that does not shut the engine off and have a fuel leak somewhere. The purpose of a fuel pump shut off switch is to disable the pump after a collision that could cause a leak and result in a fire... not necessarily shut the engine down though I think that is desirable as well.

Originally Posted By: cbriggs
I believe they bypassed the oil press switch in start, but once in run it required oil pressure to keep the fuel pump running. GM's version of our inertia switch.

That is pretty stupid if it's accurate. You could still have a collision that does not shut the engine off and have a fuel leak somewhere. The purpose of a fuel pump shut off switch is to disable the pump after a collision that could cause a leak and result in a fire... not necessarily shut the engine down though I think that is desirable as well.

I did a bit of digging and oddly enough it is correct. The only thing I can't find is what actually shuts off the engine. My theory is that if a fuel line ruptures the engine loses fuel pressure and shuts off, oil pressure drops as a result and shuts down the fuel pump.

The theory I was told in trade school (trying to remember back 13 or more years) is that if the accident was bad enough to kill the engine they wanted the fuel pump shut off, but if the engine stayed running they assumed the fuel system was intact. Kindof goofy logic, but seems to be less problematic than out inertia switches. Also works as an accidental failsafe, if you run the engine out of oil.

Leon, where did you find the reference to the oil pressure?

FWIW, the 6.7 still has an inertia switch but most (if not all) gas engines now depend on a signal from the restraints control module to the fuel pump driver module as an "electronic" inertia switch. This electronic switch action can be reset by turning the key off and then on again.

IIRC, GM using oil pressure as a control for the electric fuel pump was a Chevy Vega/Pontiac Astre feature - unsure about what other models use this strategy. Others would shut down the fuel pump if RPM signal was lost.

Throttle body injected small blocks used it for sure,(87 thru 95) and I think the early vortec small blocks ,also I seem to remember some late 90's car v-6s that had it.

Leon, where did you find the reference to the oil pressure?

FWIW, the 6.7 still has an inertia switch but most (if not all) gas engines now depend on a signal from the restraints control module to the fuel pump driver module as an "electronic" inertia switch. This electronic switch action can be reset by turning the key off and then on again.

IIRC, GM using oil pressure as a control for the electric fuel pump was a Chevy Vega/Pontiac Astre feature - unsure about what other models use this strategy. Others would shut down the fuel pump if RPM signal was lost.

Look at page 21 of this: http://www.gmceast.com/technical/Swartzendruber_Generic_TBI_SlidesNotes.pdf