"OCR"

Rate this topic

OCR or Operator Commanded Regeneration is, and has been an optional feature on some 6.7L powered Super Duty trucks. I did not know this until today. It is an option for trucks with a standard message center and trucks without this feature can be upgraded by reprogramming and configuring the IC and PCM.

Long story short, one of our local municipalities has a 2011 F550 with this feature and had no idea it was equipped with this feature. Neither was I! The truck was brought into us with the complaint that there is a warning on the dash that the exhaust filter is 90% full. After a lot of document diving and a Hot-Line contact I now know all about this little feature.

More details on this can be found in the Owner Information - Diesel Engine Supplement 3rd printing and by viewing TSB 11-2-12 (attached to this post)

I think this is a great feature for municipal or vehicles that idle a lot or are used in stationary applications.

It's a nice feature to have, especially since it does a stationary regeneration, and you don't have to pay a mechanic to drive the thing around while it does it's burnoff.

We have to regen trucks from time to time at our shop and the switch on the dash is a godsend.

unfortunately, right beside it is an "INHIBIT REGEN" switch, which seems to be the only one the drivers know how to use. Posted Image

The only thing with is, and I don't remember where I read it, is that when it is enabled the driver gets the option to perform the stationary regen only when the particle filter is at the 150% loaded state. I had one at %100 percent and it would not let me perform manual regen.

Must have had a major brain fart on that one. Although, in my defense yesterday was one of the most frustrating days I have had in a while. Not sure if my brain was fully functional. It most likely was at 50% on the cluster and wouldn't let me do it.

I know a guy who works in Rankin Inlet, Nunavut. That is way the hell up north for you southerners. The local school board has a Freightliner school bus up there, and it has a big red manual regen button on the dash. The only trouble is they cannot get it warm enough to do a successful regen (outside temp -40C or -40F, same thing). So our government pays to replace the dpf as required.

I think Cummins has been wrapping the exhaust pipes with insulation for the last couple of years to help this issue.

I don't think so Bruce, maybe there is some kind of cold weather package? Our Ford medium duty trucks that come through my dealer don't have any wrapping or insulation on the exhaust... just heat shields of course. Also, I JUST got home (10 minutes ago) from more cummins training and I did not see any reference to this for any of the midrange engines. Maybe the heavy duty stuff? Pretty much everything Cummins puts on the road now has DPF and SCR too.