2000 f550 smoking.

Rate this topic

Im stuck here boys.2000 f550 manual.242,000 miles.Truck had no start.IPR fixed that.Got it running but it would run like crap as you were going through the rpm range then once you got higher into the rpms the smoke would clear up and it would finally move.The smoke is white/bluish.I have a fuel pressure gauge hooked up and it never drops below 55psi.Oil has been changed along with fuel filter.No codes.Run cylinder contribution test with solus ultra and it flags 3 and 8.Pulled the valve covers and all glow plugs.Did manual compression test.Results are as follows.Cyl 1 400 psi,cyl 3 370 psi,cyl 5 345 psi,cyl 7 365 psi,cyl 2 365 psi,cyl 4 380 psi,cyl 6 340 psi,cyl 8 380 psi.So i got 2 injectors and installed.The problem is still present and im not sure where to go next.Any help advise appreciated.

Sounds like it is loading up on fuel. Back when I actually hooked a scan tool up to a 7.3L we would change the IPR and ICP for this concern. Most would be fixed, the odd few we would have to start getting up close and personal with the injectors, some would get all 8 before they ran right.

Neither IH or Ford published a spec. Generally, a tight motor will be 400-425 at seal level, that's why I asked you about your elevation as altitude has considerable effect on compression numbers. I consider 375+ to be OK, under 350 borderline, and under 300 junk. Look at your Perdels and swap a couple of injectors from the bad holes into the good holes if you want positive results. Replacing the rest of your injectors is "probably" going to fix your engine, or at least make a significant improvement. Don't forget to bleed it out before looking at perdels after swapping injectors. Drive it hard, and if you want to cut time down, pull the little plugs out on top of the oil galleys in the heads to help bleed it out. Crank the engine with the plugs out until oil flows.

Good Luck!

Posted Image

• 2 weeks later...

Well i got to work on this thing again finally.I drained the fuel bowl and dumped a bottle of stanadyne performance formula in the bowl.Ran engine and about a minute later no smoke ran like a dream.I told the guy it needed more injectors.He told me that he had already had them replaced.But the quality of the injectors is questionable.He got them very cheap and stated that a couple of them had loose solenoids.He also mentioned that he did not have a mechanic change them but had one of his tow truck drivers change them.Regaurdless he stated that he is not putting anymore injectors in it and took the truck back.Even though a couple of the compression readings are on the low side.I bet 6 more injectors from a reputable injector manufacturer would have cured the problem.Thank you for all your assistance.I do have a question still about perdels.I know they should all be reading 0 but if you have a higher number lets just say 3%, what does that represent??Does that mean the injector is flowing more fuel to keep that cylinder contributing properly?

I drained the fuel bowl and dumped a bottle of stanadyne performance formula in the bowl.Ran engine and about a minute later no smoke ran like a dream.

I bet 6 more injectors from a reputable injector manufacturer would have cured the problem.

Yep.

I do have a question still about perdels.I know they should all be reading 0 but if you have a higher number lets just say 3%, what does that represent??Does that mean the injector is flowing more fuel to keep that cylinder contributing properly?

No, it means that cylinder is running slower than the rest by 3%. 7.3s are not CAN and do not control fuel per cylinder like CAN PCMS do. Cyl #8 can run a couple of percent, cyls 1-7 should not.

Posted Image