Should I or should I not.

Rate this topic

scott1984

I left the dealership back in 09 and since that same dealer is trying to get me back. They are offering a ton more money. Even right now I use all special tools. Just don't have a way to pts. Open to suggestions

A decent hourly rate is nice but if you can't turn 40 a week then you quickly forget about it.

Not to mention the hoops you've gotta jump thru with warranty right now are almost unbelievable. And none of it pays worth a damn

well as of this afternoon i had interview at another dealer thats a hour from wear i live beg me to come work for them. like i didnt have enough on my mind already

There is a huge demand for trained, EXPERIENCED technicians at the dealership level, yet once some one reaches that level they are almost impossible to retain or to attract as a new hire. Just thinking out loud here, but what is the problem here?

A decent hourly rate is nice but if you can't turn 40 a week then you quickly forget about it.

Not to mention the hoops you've gotta jump thru with warranty right now are almost unbelievable. And none of it pays worth a damn

Mrbudge, I think Matt has already touched base on some of the issues and explained it. The politics of warranty have become unbearable for most folks I know who have left the dealership scenes. And we all know that he higher trained you become the less hours you make. You become that "Go To Guy" that never gets any financial appreciation for it. You go to the top only to make less and that leaves a bad tast in most folks mouths. I've been there! Thankfully my last dealership of employment made me see there is a slight glimpse of decency out there.

The only chance I have is if they dub me shop foreman and that somehow translates into a higher pay scale for the same amount of work.

They broke ground for the new shop today. Even if I dream of 3 truck racks at my disposal I still can't get excited

The only chance I have is if they dub me shop foreman and that somehow translates into a higher pay scale for the same amount of work.

They broke ground for the new shop today. Even if I dream of 3 truck racks at my disposal I still can't get excited

Good luck with that. I was offered a foremen position in my shop......the pay offered was not even close to what I could do on a shitty week as a tech

• 4 weeks later...

Originally Posted By: Matt_Saunoras

Mrbudge, I think Matt has already touched base on some of the issues and explained it. The politics of warranty have become unbearable for most folks I know who have left the dealership scenes. And we all know that he higher trained you become the less hours you make. You become that "Go To Guy" that never gets any financial appreciation for it. You go to the top only to make less and that leaves a bad tast in most folks mouths. I've been there! Thankfully my last dealership of employment made me see there is a slight glimpse of decency out there.

You said it. I left the bench and have been a service manager for 7 months now. We also have a Fixed Operations Manager above myself. I took a slight paycut (under 5%) to get my first crack as a manager, but now I worry about 14 techs/apprentices, 3 advisors, 2 shuttle drives, 2 BDC staff, a warranty clerk, a receptionist, and anything the sales department screws up/lies about at delivery. And answer to the owner. And instead of getting to leave at 3:30 or 4 the odd day when I cranked out my hours early, I work until 6 at least every day it seems, and never take a lunch... etc...

That all said, I feel I've made a positive change to the operation and my experience as a technician is valued. I enjoy MOST of the challengess I face throughout my day, but there are days when turning a wrench for similar money, less hours, and probably less stress, seem appealing. That said, I'm loving my first summer of an air conditioned office EVER!

Just buy a dealership. I figure that has to be the only sure fire way to escape most of the BS lol

• 2 weeks later...