Compression spec.

Rate this topic

IH/Ford do not publish compression specs. What's your altitude? The CR is the same as a 6.0, 18:1. A strong engine at sea level should make 400-425. I use 375+ as good in Cleveland, 350 being yellow and 300 red.

Posted Image

So what would be a good compression ratio at that elevation.Just ran compression test.

Cyl 2 318psi

Cyl 4 350psi

Cyl 6 320psi

Cyl 1 320psi

Cyl 3 300psi

Cyl 5 305psi

Customer complaint,"Has to start with starting fluid every morning" no matter what ambient air temp is.

Obviously his engine is tired, but check glow plug amperage anyway. IH uses a dumb system that does not set codes when the relay or GP fail. Cold amperage on a VT275 should be 135 initially, tapering off to 80-90 after 20 seconds. High resistance and v drop across the relay are common on IH trucks. (Ford guys have been spoiled by the GPM since they came out a decade ago) If the GP and injectors are good, I'd think that engine should start on its own. I see ether needed when the compression pressures are lower than yours, like a bunch in the 200's. If GPA is good, fill the secondary FF with Stanadyne when it's parked, run it 20 seconds to circulate it, and shut it off for the night. That might ID bad injector atomization.....

Posted Image