Aftermarket Calibrations

Rate this topic

mrbudge

Some of the aftermarket tuners are identifying their tunes as Ford cals as well, so that's something to look out for.

Strategy:

and

Filename:

at the top of the IDS log after the VIN SHOULD tell you the current calibration.

PCM_FILENAME:

Should also tell you what calibration is in it.

I'd compare it to a like unit, and see what the calibration in that unit.

Do you figure you've got something tuned?

Ford had sent a message at one time saying what the pcm filename suffix should be if it was a OEM calibration, but now I can't find it.

We have a 6.7 here that IDS had no trouble identifying, but when I went to do a reflash it couldn't get valid data from the pcm to start the programming process. I did a PMI and programmed with as built and it all worked good, but flipped on the MIL right after. The EGR valve was siezed shut, but there was no light on before the reflash.

Oh well, nothing makes me happier than writing over someone elses aftermarket calibration.

You are in luck. I had to recover a PCM and re-install a tune to get a truck running.

Stock PCM CAL: 8U7A-14C204-HCA

CVN: AF4E7D69

TCM CAL:8C3A-14C337-DC

CVN:CC0D72BD

Tuned PCM CAL: 8F716A0533

CVN: 65CBF2FB

TCM CAL: 8C3A-14C337-CA

CVN: A1B4D0C9

This was an H&S mini max tuner.

It seems the TCM cal in most aftermarket tuners shows as the 8C3A - CA identifier.

They're TRYING to make that PCM cal look like a Ford cal, but using the wrong identifier. The cal should show up as 8U7A-14C204-JD. That being said, they may use the cal ID instead of the actual calibration part number to prevent IDS from automatically updating the calibration.

That Tuned PCM Cal changes up to teartag identifier KRU3, which is a 50-state automatic calibration, and KRU3 (your A0533 cal, JD suffix) or KRU4 (A0534, JE suffix) is the teartag I am seeing most commonly identified by the IDS or any tool capable of pulling the Cal ID, in respect to tuned trucks.

As for knowing the suffixes, I've painstakingly compiled a tear tag list for the 6.4 trucks, and I'm working on one for the 6.7 trucks as well.