DEF Contamination

Rate this topic

Pulled in a 2012 F650 with a Cummins 6.7L with amber and red engine lights on, engine torque derated. Long story short the DEF tank is loaded with automatic transmission fluid. It made it all the way to the injector. This is probably gonna get expensive.

Everybody knows them new trucks with all that emissions junk will run better if you mix in some atf.............

To me this reeks of sabotage. On these trucks the DEF tank and filler are well back on the truck away from the cab where everything else is accessed and filled under the hood. Clearly labeled, blue cap... but who am I to speculate. I do know it is not coolant and there is no ATF in the cooling system. For contamination like this to be sourced directly from this truck the trans cooler in the radiator would have to be leaking and filling the cooling system. In addition, the DEF heater assembly would also have to be leaking. Ahh, no. And if that makes no sense to you reading this, these trucks use engine coolant as a DEF heater - piped in and circulated in the tank, the dosing valve if I am not mistaken and around the injector.

I would put money you are on the right track keith. I have had this happen to me before on our trucks. Pissed off employee grabs the closest bottle of whatever fluid he can get his hands and dumps it in where he knows it will do the most damage. Typically the transmission in our experience.

• 2 months later...

Forgot that I snapped a few pics of this. I put some in a glass test tube and it's been sitting in my tool box. There is a layer of ATF on the top now and a small layer of DEF on the bottom with a large layer of pink stuff in between.

pinkDEF.jpg