Window Tint Testing in NC

Rate this topic

North Carolina allows 35% tint on all the windows. This unit is used to check the tint and there is an additional $10 charge if your car has tint while performing a state inspection.

Posted Image

This unit consists of the tester that slides over the window, 2 magnetic units for testing solid windows, short data cable, long data cable, and the calibrated smoked glass.

Posted Image

The 1st step is to check the meter reading, this one is pretty darn close.

Posted Image

Checking the solid glass sensors.

Posted Image

The law allows the tester to dip down to 32% light transmission. This one is splitting hairs and when the glass was warm from sitting in the sun, it tested at 35% right on the button.

Posted Image

The rear glass gets tested with the transmitter on the outside with the suction cup holding it in place.

Posted Image

And the receiver on the inside, placed directly opposite. The magnets hold the units in place are pretty strong.

Posted Image

The long data cable connects the 2 units together.

Posted Image

The short cable connects them to the tester and a press of the red button gives the reading.

Posted Image

These testers have been around for a long time. IIRC, Ohio has similar laws and testers the cops use.

Slightly off topic, watch your speed this weekend. I drove twice on the highway Friday and Saturday for a total mileage of about 50 miles. During those trips (suburban Cleveland) I counted 11 people pulled over/or troopers clocking on one day and 7 the second day. My wife went 2 exits yesterday and saw 3 radar setups.

They are out in force this weekend!

Posted Image

As of July 1st, we have to start checking for window tint on the front passenger and driver windows as part of PMCVI inspections in Ontario. Nothing built after July 1st, 2011 can have aftermarket tint.

Even stuff that doesn't require annual safety? I seem to recall something about that. Same with ABS lights... if it's got ABS past a certain year, it's gotta work.

Even stuff that doesn't require annual safety? I seem to recall something about that. Same with ABS lights... if it's got ABS past a certain year, it's gotta work.

Right now, ABS lights have to work on anything built after July 1, 2011. As of July 1st, 2014, ABS lights have to function on everything.

I have never been a fan of window tint as far as the custom factor goes, my eyesight is too bad to see out dark windows at night. However the tint is a major factor in keeping the heat out of your car as far as functionality goes down here. We even have window tint on our home windows on the West side of our house.

I had purchased a truck that had the front door windows tinted. Got 2 tickets, and this was over 20 years ago, and still left the tint on. The incident that made me remove it was almost getting hit by a train on a crossing with no lights, at night time. Didn't even see it coming. Almost crapped my pants too.

I had tint on my grand prix. Got pulled over about 2 years after I got it. I had just started the dealership gig and the cops in the area were sticklers. Had to scrape the front 2 windows and never got bothered again.

In PA it's an enforcement issue. Can't fail for state inspection unless it's on the front windshield.

I hate the 35% law here in AZ. The darker the tint the better here(obviously within reason) Its far too hot not to have tint on your windows here

The reason for tint laws is police safety and I can find no fault in that.

Darkly tinted windows for a cop is the same as removing a radiator cap from a vehicle that is running hot for a tech. You never know what is going to happen when you open it up or you take all kind of precautions and are stilled scared s**tless when you do it.

And then you have to consider motorcyclists etc.

You can get UV rejection without it being so dark.

The reason for tint laws is police safety and I can find no fault in that.

Darkly tinted windows for a cop is the same as removing a radiator cap from a vehicle that is running hot for a tech. You never know what is going to happen when you open it up or you take all kind of precautions and are stilled scared s**tless when you do it.

And then you have to consider motorcyclists etc.

You can get UV rejection without it being so dark.

I understand the police safety aspect fully, I have family that are police officers...Too dark of tint is also very hard to see out when dark so can become a problem for the driver too. There has to be balance. I am not saying tint your windshield or front windows so dark no one can see in or out. I can tell you driving here in az with zero darkening tint on your front windows miserable, Thank god we are not as anal as CA and are allowed to have 35% on our front windows. That alone makes a huge difference in comfort during the summer months. I would prefer to go a little darker myself but I stick to the legal limits. I do always tint my rear windows to about 25% which has no regulations.

Tint is allowed on back windows and side windows (i.e. windows behind the drivers row). Windows in the front (drivers) row will have a car being inspected (out of province) fail - but only if the inspecting shop is working within the spirit of the program ( gotta love professionalism ). There's regs on windshield tinting, to.

Once you are registered, you will wait for the authorities to do anything - if and when one of them cares.

If your insurance company requests a 10 year inspection, the form asks if the vehicle is roadworthy or not.

Thankfully, I never got insurance inspections so I could avoid culpability. "Roadworthy'...... wellll - yes, I suppose. Legal? No.

Do we need FMVSS and CMVSS? Sometimes the wrong people want to interpret things.