6.0 intermitant stall

Rate this topic

I have a 06 f350 that stalls .very intermitant was able to duplicate in parking lot .seem to only stall when returning to idle from accel or cruise .when you release the throttle just shuts off.starts right back up.atfer a couple stalls got cam and crank codes .wiggle tested no stall replaced cam sensor pad was clean.got full ficm few months back for 611.while monitoring do not loose conn.pids look good.has any body seen stalls from app pedal.thanks

• Like 1

I wouldn't spend too much energy on the cam and crank sensor codes P2614 and P2617 when received together in relation to a stalling condition. It is common for them to set as a result of the stalling, not the cause. I am assuming those are the codes...

Your stalling is probably a pressure related concern, fuel or high pressure oil. Due to the intermittent nature I would lean toward high pressure oil without any DTC's to point me in any specific direction. This was more common with 7.3 engines that had sticking IPR valves or eroded IPR seals. I have seen one or two 6.oL engines do this... weak pump, system leaks or stuck open IPR could be preventing the system from rebuilding pressure after the RPM's drop to idle.

Don't forget to test fuel pressure during a road test. Make sure it is not dropping on you due to something being clogged and pulling the pressure down under load.

When you say "PID's look good" is that sitting in the bay or did you road test and capture the PID's during the stalling event? This is what you want to do. I recommend the CDR if you have one. THAT will produce a recording that will be most helpful.

As for the Accelerator I have never seen that on a 6.0L but I have on a couple of 6.4L trucks.

I have had too many to count that a worn STC fitting caused this concern. " I just turned on to the off ramp and it died", or " I slowed down to make the turn and it died " are common complaints from customer.

thanks for the info will look at it again Monday the only reason I did not suspect the hp oil and fuel is it just shuts off and restarts as if nothing happened nolong crank.might inspect ipr .did monitor pids when concern happened no spikes or sudden changes.

+1 on the STC, '06's are prime for this.

If you're brave deadhead the HPOP by grounding the IPR return wire (pin 2 of the center PCM connector, yellow/red) while idling and if the STC is the problem it will likely fail as pressure should go to 4000 or so.

Monitor ICPV, it should be about .24 KOEO, try disconnecting it and see if your problem still occurs (might rule out a biased ICP), or power braking it several times in the shop to see if the STC fails.

Good Luck!

Posted Image

Take the IDS with you on roadtest, quite often after a stalling event due to worn STC fitting, if it restarts after you will generally see your IPR duty max to 85 % for a split second before the ICP pressure climbs enough for it to start. Good luck !!

• 3 weeks later...

STC fitting is more then likely the cause of the stalling, I've had at least 3 of them. Monitor the ICP and you will see the pressure loss and IPR try to recover if you make a recording and follow the playback 1 frame at a time.

• 2 weeks later...

+1 on the STC fitting, seen it several times. Was even lucky enough to get one that was doing this to blow all the way apart on a road test and die out on my....never to start again until after the repair. At least it was right when I was pulling back into the dealership and I didn't have to sit waiting for a tow truck.

sorry forgot to update post .when vehical stalled ipr on restart would spike to 85 pulled turbo and pump cover and quike conn. was leaking replaced has not stalled since customer has had for a week.thank you for your help.