team system

Rate this topic

garyb

SHOP JUST ANOUNCED THAT THEY ARE GOING TO DEVIDE THE SHOP INTO 2 TEAMS TODAY, 6 PEOPLE TO A TEAM,ALL HOURS WILL BE PULLED TOGEATHER AND INDIVIDUAL WILL BE PAID A PERCENTAGE OF THE POOLED HRS. IT WORKS AS I UNDERSTAND IT BY CLOCK TIME DIVIDED BY PRODUCTION HRS. THAT YOU TURNED TO GET A PERCENTAGE NUMBER,AND YOU WILL BE PAID THE PERCENTAGE OF THE OVER ALL HRS ON YOUR TEAM. THEY RATED TECHS AS A,B,C,D TECHS THE CUSTOMERS WILL BE DEVIDED BY THE ALPHABET SYSTEM, A-M WILL GO TO RED TEAM, N-Z GOE TO GREEN TEAM. THE RO'S WILL BE GIVEN TO TEAM LEADER AND HE WILL DECIDE WHO IS THE BEST FOR THAT JOB. WHICH MEANS THAT HE DISPATCHES THE JOBS, ONLY 2 DIESEL TECHS SO 1 FOR EACH TEAM. NEVER WORKED THE TEAM SYSTEM BUT ANY TIME SOMEONE NEADS HELP I ALWAYS HELP AND FOR THE MOST PART ALL GUYS HAVE SOMEONE THEY CONSULT WITH IF THEY GET STUCK. FOR SOME REASON I FEEL LIKE I AM GETTING THE SHAFT AND THE SHOP WILL GET A BIGGER CUT OF THE MONEY BUT I CANT REALLY FIGURE IT OUT, WHO BENIFITS AND WHAT THE INCENTIVE IS TO DO TEAMS. HAS ANY BODY GOT ANY EXPERIENCE WITH THIS? IS THIS A BETTER SYSTEM OR EVERY MAN FOR THEMSELVES (SO TO SPEAK)NOW IF GUY ON OPPISITE TEAM ASK FOR HELP HE WILL HAVE TO GET IT FROM SOMEONE ON HIS TEAM INSTEAD OF ME, DONT SEE HOW THIS IS TEAM WORK, IT WILL BE LIKE 2 SHOPS IN ONE BUILDING. VERY FRUSTRADED WITH DEALERSHIPS ANY MORE, IT ALWAYS SEAM THEY HAVE THE NEXT SCEAM OF GETTING THE DOLLER BILL, THEY REALLY DONT CARE ABOUT THE FACE BEHIND THE WHEEL OF THAT AUTO IT IS HOW MUCH MONEY CAN THEY GET FROM THEM. ANY THOUGHTS ON THE MATTER APRECIATED.

It sounds like a call to the local department of labor needs to be made.

You should be paid for what YOU do, not averaged with other people.

What they are doing may be in violation of some laws.

just my .02

OMG, that is the stupidest thing I have ever read. Is this some kind of joke? I have heard of 2 techs teaming up, mainly to get fleet vehicles out the door faster, benefits the fleets mostly and keeps them happy. This is freaking ridiculous, you get one bad tech and everyone gets hit. It sounds like they are trying to weed out some techs, IMO.

It sounds like they are trying to weed out some techs, IMO.

Usually the good one's will not put up with this kind of shit.

I have heard of this type of hour pooling. Beleive it or not with mixed opinions. It can benefit the "A" guys stuck doing all of the warranty bullshit.

This is popular or was at least a few years ago here in AZ. I had to work on this type of system once and came really close a second time(every tech in the shop fought hard to change their minds) I can only imagine the bean counter sitting behind a desk all day who would dream up such a thing. Its bad enough as a tech you are flat rate on your own but its even worse when your pay check gets averaged out among your team. You will find the guys that are on board with such a system are the low producing techs in the shop for obvious reasons. They are going to benefit from having other better techs on their team to make up for their loss of hours. I really hated having my hours cut to a lower then actual average every week.

Alot of times the thought behind this kind of structure is it makes it fair for everyone however the problem is they are never willing to build fair teams. Even if you had a 100% equal set of advisers and techs it creates drama among the shop as everyone thinks they have a shitty team and vice versa.

A local Nissan store around here did that.

They had A techs that would make 60-80 hours or more a week, while the B-D would be doing all warranty work. And their used car guys would turn high hours. When the A's complained about how much the used car guys got, the used car guys were let go. I knew one of the used car guys. He really liked working there too.

Then they went to the "team" system. It was a simple averaging. They'd average all the hours and divide it up amongst the number in the team. Completely screwing guys making hours, and sticking A techs with total bs warranty work.

I believe they still use it now. Last I heard, most guys at best were getting between 40 and 50 tops, working 6 days a week.

I'm not an hours producer and I still wouldn't put up with that shit. People get some pretty ridiculous ideas in this business, I can't believe anyone deals with flat rate let alone teams.

I worked in a dealership in Regina that did that fucking Robbery! It does nothing but create back stabbing , jealousy and animosity throughout the whole shop! Everyone is your fucking enemy and you damned well better watch your back! If your team leader doesn't like you as mine didn't like me because I was divorcing his cousin, they will stick you with all the bullshit warranty that you can't make any hours with. Then they will review your productivity and tell you that you are dragging the rest of the team down and you are on your way out the fucking door! Thankfully I quit and got my ass out to Alberta and started working in the real world! Fuck! All my bad dreams and nightmares are coming back to me just reading this fucking thread! Can you tell what I think of these fucking little cults?

I worked at a Toyota store that was like that. They pooled all the hours and then divided them equally among the team members. Which was great for the guy who made 11 hours a fucking week.

If I can help it, I won't ever go back to working flat rate.

Why should the technician suffer if the people running the place can't get cars through the door?

I am so frustrated , we pay more for tools every year, ford cuts and trims labor times every year, they say that there time standards are correct, they will not pay for shop inefficiency problems, been in 2 different shops and both had red box tool problems miss placed or missing, often times leaving us to figure away around the specialty tools or buying them our selves. the systems on cars have become more complex in that they have added more modules and network issues have become more complex, often times problems are software related which pays next to nothing. now management puts more on our shoulders. not only do we watch our production hours but we watch our teammates 2. and some that are producing hours are only doing service work like flushes, brakes, works packages, ect. before if i was having a bad weak i could work more hours to overcome warranty jobs. i don't have the incentive to do this and pull hours. looks like i am back looking for a new job once again because of shop issues.