6.4 Servicing

Rate this topic

I just got back from YTC and the instructor mentioned that the new setup will require cab removal and the vehicles they are seeing are equipped with quick disconnects to facilitate quicker cab removal.

Has anyone else heard this?

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/thumbup.gif

I did not hear that the cab HAS to come off but I did hear that the 6.4 was going to be tighter than the 6.0. Who was your instructor? You went to Yonkers training center? Did they still have that picture of a cab off chassis saying don't do it? Kinda ironic huh?

Yeah Ed, the picture is still up

The instructor's name is John, can't remember his last name, young smart kid, comes out of the Philly area. I go back next month for diesel performance, so I can get full 6.0L certified and my diesel masters.

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cheers.gif

Hey! I was there last month for the LCF training. Saw the very same picture. I forgot to ask what that was all about. I heard that they are closing a lot of the training centers here in the North East although a new one is supposed to open here in NJ Somewhere in Piscataway or Somerville? I for one can't wait because hitting the George Washington Bridge in the morning sucks! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/mad.gif

Going E to W isn't to bad, because of the lack of toll booths, but if I'm in Jersey, say at E-Town, I avoid the GW like the plauge.The problem is ,the Tappen Zee isn't much better. I feel your pain.

The scuttlebutt was Somerville.

I worked in the NY region for about a year and a half, so I got used to the drive, but I prefer the drive to Southboro MA.

They just aren't holing any diesel classes.

Ahh, that's it ! Somerville. I was given directions to take the "Tap" but I got lost. Somehow ended up on the Turnpike going south and traveled about 15 minutes before I could get turned around! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/mad.gif Needless to say I was late for the first day of class and it cost me more in tolls too. To me it's less confusing to just use the GW bridge and hit the Henry Hudson North. At least its all one road from there though it changes it's name three times! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif

I just got back from YTC and the instructor mentioned that the new setup will require cab removal and the vehicles they are seeing are equipped with quick disconnects to facilitate quicker cab removal.

I was talking about this very subject with a buddy of mine who pointed out that quick disconnects are too costly for production. Good point. I doubt we would ever see such a luxury EVER. With that said, just how many things do you think have been scrapped due to costs or changed to allow for faster assembly at the plant that made our jobs harder? I'll bet that if we pay attention to the vehicles we work on we can identify a few!

Stick that in your tailpipe and smoke it!

• 3 months later...

The 07 prototype in the pictures on the other forum was at our facility and there were quick connect fittings on the brake lines and a/c systems. looking under the hood, there is no way you will be able to service half the parts on that truck without removing the cab. between fuel coolers, 2 cac's, dual stage turbos and 2 egr coolers, that engine is covered!