I'm going bald!

Rate this topic

Help! I've got a 2006 F-550 making only 1 psi of boost and I can't figure it out... What am I missing?

Yesterday, I ran the IDS boost test and VVT test... I got about 0.6 psi of boost, and the VVT test failed miserably. I removed the turbo to inspect it, and the unison ring was jammed solid.

Today, I installed a new turbo, but it still makes no boost... Even less than yesterday (0.4 psi). I installed a good VGT solenoid, map and hose, maf, egr valve (all from a parts truck we have) and inspected and cleaned the MGP port. I've also removed the downpipe from the turbo... The EBP responds in a way that the tube doesn't appear to be blocked, but I haven't changed that... yet. The only thing that I can note is the fact the EGR test fails the first test (after the response test) due to high MAF. It's too hot right now for me to run another VVT test, but I thought I'd ask the brilliant minds here for an opinion, before I pull out whatever is left of my hair.

Cheers! Posted Image

Okay. Lesson learned. As it turns out, the plastic cold side air duct had a hole blown in it right under the air filter mount. The hole was so big that it didn't make the hissing sound I'm used to, and it was on top of the tube, so it didn't leak oil. I don't feel bad for replacing the turbo, as it did have an overboost code in it, and the ring would not move at all... So I'm sure the stuck turbo was the cause of the tube blow out.

I'm SO glad you got it fixed.

I was going to refer you to powerstrokehelp.com to review some repair videos to find your problem...............

For future reference, if you have an IPR valve pigtail lying around that you use to supply direct power and ground to, for air testing HPO system for leaks, you can use it on the VGT as well. Doing so will achieve the same as doing the turbo boost test without the IDS. I had one once, that wouldn't run the test with IDS and I tried powering it up with my IPR pigtail. It ended up getting a PCM to repair. That one pulled my hair out too.

It's kind of my own fault for seeing a "short-cut" and running with it. This truck has been around the block a few times to a few unworthy hands... As it turns out, somebody at some time in the past did not install the bracket that holds the air duct to the FICM, so I removed the duct without removing the air filter. If I hadn't done that, I would have seen it. I'll get over it.

Yeah you don't get that loud whistle sound when the cold side CAC leaks. The one's I remember seeing were split and did make noticeable noise. Last week I had a 2005 with 15,000 miles (!) that blew the right side charge air cooler tank off. Made LOTS of noise.

I tell guys in class to remove the belt(s), have their buddy hold the engine at WOT and listen/ run their hands around the CAC and hoses for leaks. You probably would have felt it then......

Posted Image

I tell guys in class to remove the belt(s), have their buddy hold the engine at WOT and listen/ run their hands around the CAC and hoses for leaks. You probably would have felt it then......

For safety's sake I cringe at the thought of feeling around engines for leaks... yeah, I know, that is the rule for fuel leaks but...

I use a mechanic's stethoscope with the probe end pulled off of the end of the tube. Obtain a long thin plastic tube that can be attached to the end of the stethoscope tube to create a wand. If you have one long enough you can slip it in front or behind the cooler. I use this tool/method for exhaust leaks primarily and you can pinpoint leaks really well around turbos or y-pipes, bellows etc.

I use a mechanic's stethoscope with the probe end pulled off of the end of the tube.

That's what I do to listen for HP oil leaks. The part that threw me off was the zero boost thing. It won't happen again.