EGT Shutdown Options

Rate this topic

Hey guys-

I have a DOT with a bunch of 6.4s used in traffic applications. They have had several situations where EGT failures cause immediate shutdown in traffic with work crews around resulting in a dangerous situation. Is there a way to delay this shutdown so that the trucks are not sitting in the middle lane on the highway?

Thanks!

Posted Image:

I thought there was supposed to be a warning, "PULL OVER SAFELY", then a slight delay, then it would ding at you, then it started flashing the interior dome light, and started counting down from 30 on the dash.

I thought there was a NHTSA standard that prohibited anything from shutting down the vehicle, aside from total mechanical failure.

• 4 weeks later...

All the ones I've had this happen on will shut off the engine and lock out cranking for 1 hour as soon as the truck gets to a full stop, So if you are in traffic and have to stop, it would shut down.

I remember a guy having a dually towed in for a no crank-no start.

After a quick scan in the parking lot, I went out under the hood, and bumped the starter over with the underhood wire, and drove it into the shop.

He was so pissed that he had just spent upwards of $300 on a tow, and I seemingly hopped in his truck and drove it inside. LOL.

• Like 2

I remember a guy having a dually towed in for a no crank-no start.

After a quick scan in the parking lot, I went out under the hood, and bumped the starter over with the underhood wire, and drove it into the shop.

He was so pissed that he had just spent upwards of $300 on a tow, and I seemingly hopped in his truck and drove it inside. LOL.

I do that too... But I'll never instruct  somebody to do it on the road.  Although, I've never seen a DPF go over temperature-only failed/inaccurate temperature sensors, there is still a very, very, very slight possiblity the exhaust system is too hot.

I cooked a DPF on a road test once. it was really loaded and would not go into regen so i put the trans in 2nd and drove around the block floored to try to clean it out a ittle. . It shut down just outside my ay door where i left it to cool down. Man the cat was cherry red!   It went into regen after that.  :haha2:

• 4 weeks later...

I had a instructor tell a class to take 3 Hersey kiss with you on 6.4 test drives. So if you have a egt go high. you first eat the kiss then shove the wrapper in egt connector. The wrapper turns it into a short instead a high temp. You take one for each egt and if I remember wright it will then bypass I hour lock out.

• 4 months later...

I had a instructor tell a class to take 3 Hersey kiss with you on 6.4 test drives. So if you have a egt go high. you first eat the kiss then shove the wrapper in egt connector. The wrapper turns it into a short instead a high temp. You take one for each egt and if I remember wright it will then bypass I hour lock out.

Well I remembered this post... but it won't work on a 6.7L. Have a tow in with a no crank pull over safely message on dash. EGT 1-4 was erratic. Unplugging or shorting had no effect on the no start condition... or was supposed to do that for each ET? LOL!  Yeah, I know - this is the 6.4L forum.