What's In Your Bay - Part IV

Rate this topic

Keith Browning

There's more outside too. Second pic front and center is our new Norco engine crane. After the last complete 6.4 I dropped in the old engine crane was deemed unfit. This new one is great. Our twin post engine stand slides right in between the hoist legs. It's nice to get some new equipment for sure. We're overdue

image.jpg

image.jpg

I know the bottle neck feeling. Too much crap that gets to sit and wait for someone to get back to it. I just finished both side exhaust manifolds on a 2000 F-350 yesterday. 7 broken studs on each side. Friday they had me do a "quick" check engine light on a 2012 Escape with 16,000 miles. #6 misfire. 15% low on relative compression. 113 PSI of manual compression without taking the other plugs out. 75 % leakage with air leaking out from exhaust valves. Can push down on one of the exhaust valves with a prybar off of the cam lobe and wiggle the valve side to side about 1/4 inch. I could even see the wiggle with my bore scope in the cylinder. The head will be off of that one tomorrow.

All three of those trucks are my babies.  The bucket truck just needed a drag link, steering shock and some new 19.5s in the front (thankfully it didn't rain today).  Prior to last summer it sat for over a year not running.  I made a road call, got it running with a ficm, drove it to the shop where I proceeded to find $7k worth of work on it(coolers, engine harnesses chewed by mice, oil pan rotted out, turbo froze up, brakes completely rusted, ball joints excessive play).  This winter it got 8 new injectors on its second visit.  Thankfully it's now running better than it has in years. The wrecker with the engine out has been around for warranty repairs since it was new.  This winter it got it's first CP work, 2 new turbos, DPF and I fished out 4-5 broken manifold bolts + tossed a RH up-pipe at it. Now it spit some rockers out and it blew some lifters apart.  I'm shortblocking it with a high pressure pump for good measure.  The white crew cab dually I put a complete engine assembly in 2 Septembers ago under warranty, approx 45k miles later it's got metal in the fuel.  I found signs of rust in the ITP and the water separator was nearly full.  Nothing in the tank though.  NAPA fuel filters go figure.  It's out of warranty by time anyways. 

I finally got me Mustang engine, so I'll be putting that in tomorrow (shootin for 2 pm done time). After work I have to finish up a 7.3 install, and gotta start on a left exhaust manifold with only 7 bolts retaining said manifold on a 64. She sings a bit going down the road.

Well I finally have some direction to go with this repair.  2006 F-450, just did cab off headgaskets (studs) and 4 injectors/cups on the left side.  2 showed beginning signs of copper washer failure on this side.  Towed in for no ICP.

6.0L Ford Reman injector

The injector is only 2000 miles old, and no I didn't wack it with the oil rail either.  I told the customer they have to let me pull the pan and the oil pump gerotor to locate the missing pieces, you cannot just leave half a snap ring and ferrule laying in the pan, it will get somewhere it shouldn't.  They finally said go ahead.

My good deed for the week involves my massive collection of used parts (and my willingness to rotate a part out for a slightly better part).  I removed the oil pan from the core 6.4 shortblock and will be installing it on this truck, which I tried to sell an oil pan on 2 visits ago.  It's pretty dented in for a lack of a better description. I sanded the used one down and painted it with some Rustoleum, good as new :thumbup:

6.7 day today. 1 with egr cooler and radiator, 1 with egr cooler and turbo coolant fitting, and 1 with primary water pump. After hours it was a 6.4 with a broken bolt in the left manifold that ended up going south quick and turned out to be a late night cab removal. That friggin thing is in a million pieces at the moment.

Pan is off, found a lot of neat shit (spool valve nuts) but not what I was looking for. Something went thru the pump gears though so it's getting a new set of those and this nice shiny pan that I refurbished.

image.jpg

• Like 1

- 1.6 Escape for a long block. this is a 13S12 that took on a life of its own. came in with a leaking head gasket, tore it down to find warped head and deck surfaces. wooooo.

- 13 Mustang. I'm convinced he boosted it with reverse polarity or some other such scheme. came no start no crank. multiple fuses blown in the BJB and the SJB. so far I have found the PCM, SJB, HVAC module, ABS module, APIM, BCM B and the radio amplifier smoked. So far I have put in a PCM and a BJB to at least get the thing to start.

- 13 F150 for a turbocharger on the right side. wastegate no worky.

- 13 Mustang. I'm convinced he boosted it with reverse polarity or some other such scheme. came no start no crank. multiple fuses blown in the BJB and the SJB. so far I have found the PCM, SJB, HVAC module, ABS module, APIM, BCM B and the radio amplifier smoked. So far I have put in a PCM and a BJB to at least get the thing to start.

You might check the radio antenna, if they have an external one, to see if lightning hit it.

You might check the radio antenna, if they have an external one, to see if lightning hit it.

My mind was going there too, but apparently this thing was in a soft sided garage through the winter. We tend to not have lightning through the winter. Unfortunately the act of God theory isn't making sense to me.

1999 late build 7.3L surging idle, stalls, push on acceleration no response until suddenly it takes off and runs just fine. Only happens hot. Code P1211 & P0340.(Has junk Edge dash pod)

20140522_160025.jpg

Do I tell him just to carry a water tank with him or change the IPR. :chinrub2: I opted to change the IPR.. Problem solved

Then I could get back to What's Outside My Bay :cheers:

20140524_154552.jpg

Did a set of 6.4 up-pipes today.  Is it wrong that I upsold them even though the truck came in for a inop temperature blend door actuator and the blower speed only working on 4?  As soon as I jumped in the truck I could here the RH flex joint hissing badly.

Either way I did them a favor, those were the worst I've ever done, every single fastener needed heat to come out.

Do you guys upsell diesel repairs?  I have a habit of looking over a truck pretty well regardless of what it comes in for.   I don't know if I'm in the wrong for doing it.  Multi-point inspection?

Oil cooler on a reman 6.4L that was put in at a small independent shop somewhere. Warranty parts, retail labor. Was a little sceptical till I pulled the cover off the cooler and found all the debris in the coolant passages. Thankfully I performed the flush before replacing the cooler.

Did an EGT13 on one today, upsold a horizontal cooler inlet coolant tube.All the diesel work is gone minus one truck that has fuel in the coolant and they won't authorize it. I don't know what I'm going to do with it, I want the job but we've gotta get the cost down.Up next is a 05 e-450 v10 bus that has no a/cEdit- okay, no a/c compressor engagement. This was fun with no wiring diagram, of course the fault was with the aftermarket aux condensor pressure switch wiring which feeds power back into the OEM pressure switch wiring.  I didn't find it right away either, I had to draw a wiring diagram to figure out how the system worked. 

image.jpg

Low ICP on a 2005 E-350 Ambo. Been awhile since I had one of these apart. I am realy hoping it's the STC fitting, doesn't look like it has had the pump cover off.

Yeah our ambulances dropped off too. The one fleet of nine 6.0s I service are all running good. Minus the one that needs headgaskets that they won't fix.

Today I dropped the fuel tank on a 2000 excursion 7.3 to clean the fuel socks. This thing was breaking up bad on the road test and even stalled out once. I'm not 100% sold that its completely fixed but I definitely had an inlet restriction and put 20+ miles on it post repair with no more trouble.

Ambo ended up still having the original STC fitting, and it was blown out. Then I had an 05 F350 with a blown stand pipe o-ring causing a hard start cold/ no start warm. Next up is 1 of 2 F550 Hi-Rail trucks that are getting used engines.