What's In Your Bay - Part IV

Rate this topic

Keith Browning

In my other bay is a set of 6.0 headgaskets that got pushed to the back burner. The truck has a reman 6007 installed less than 2 years ago. It's been through 2 sets of coolers and 2 front main seals in the last year. None of which done by our shop. They're in a bind and tired of going to another dealership so it looks like I'll be SPW some gaskets. Also the underside of this truck is covered in oil. Dyed it last night and found a nice size crack in the oil filter housing. Before anyone asks yes it is a manual.Outside is another cab and chassis 6.7 that needs a turbo and another 6.7 dump that's got regen problems. I'm starting to feel like there's no chance I'll ever have a life again.Nothing new here but this is the headgasket tester I recently made. I used an acetylene gauge because of the pressure range. This last truck vented the cap right at 15psi.  I also used a quick connect air fitting for the gauge incase anything ever happens to it.  Makes releasing the cooling system pressure a little easier too.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 1

Sold a FICM, ficm harness, HFCM, blue spring, 2 injectors, oil cooler, EGR up pipe, glow plugs, glow plug harnesses, EBP sensor, pigtail and tube, clean turbo, clean intake, ball joints, trac bar ball joint and bushing and a lof/ coolant flush.

So what ya gonna do after lunch?  :D

I have a 2008 e series 6.0.  Came in for an oil change and power steering leak.  Advisor says it's only been 1 month and 500 miles, an

oil change isn't needed.  I check the hour meter and over 150 hours since last service.  I keep the hours in my ro stories for this fleet.

calculated to 3.3333 mph.  Another new low record.

What repairs need cab removal on those? I know brad mentioned fuel system. Is this something the general is endorsing or just like the early fords the techs are making life easier on themselves?

No procedures require or recommend cab removal but... I pull the cab for any turbocharger removal repairs, complete fuel systems, or head gaskets.  Sometimes I do a partial lift to get at the turbo inlet pipes, otherwise the cab stays on.  I pull complete engines out the front pretty quickly with the turbo on.

What repairs need cab removal on those? I know brad mentioned fuel system. Is this something the general is endorsing or just like the early fords the techs are making life easier on themselves?

You lift the cab up and slip a new truck underneath. It's not a permanent fix but hey, it's a Chevy... what do you expect.

You lift the cab up and slip a new truck underneath. It's not a permanent fix but hey, it's a Chevy... what do you expect.

Didn't Rex, Rin Tin Tin, or Rover (or whatever the fuck his name was) want to slide a 351W into a place where an '03 6.0L once lived? Almost right up there with those who jump the bandwagon dropping ancient early 90s Cummins engines into a place where a 6.0L once resided, just because they can't or don't want to deal with the "complexities" of a 6.0L. :crazy:

These cummins swap jackasses really piss me off.  There's a guy on the org who's been waiting over a year for his cali-legal cummins swap to be finished. 2 shops later he'll be 20-25k in the hole when it's done.  All because he couldn't deal with a 6.0.  What a joke. 

Today I got a 2005 E-450 4wd box ambulance to test out my other 18k lift.  This sucker is the big-un I put heads on last year.  They're complaining the shifter won't go from reverse to park easily.  The mechanic says the shaft going through the case moves in an out a lot more than normal.  I verified it will slide in and out of the case  a 1/4".  No idea what direction this repair is headed yet.

3 more on the schedule tomorrow, two 6.7s and a 6.0 that blows smoke.  We'll see how many show up.

Put the TR sensor assembly and manual lever in the ambulance. One of the pins that moves around in the detent was completely worn out almost to the point of breaking. The lever would move in and out and the pin would hang up in the steps. Hard to explain unless you saw it. If I get a chance I'll snap a pic.

The 18k lift found its match today. Put a reductant sender in a 13 F-550 today. It weighs in at 19k all the time. Also did one fuel injector in a 6.0 in the drive thru service lane.

I had to go 2 hours away in the snow and -20 degree windchill for my daughters dance competition this weekend. Next Sat. We are heading to San Diego, so I have 5 days of work before vacation. Decided I would go clean up and get ready for next week. Had a 550 tow in, lost power while driving, blows smoke. No ses. Grab ids and 1 code p247 I think for vehicle overspend. Normal code for a 550. Clear dist is 1225 miles and 100 hours. Regen completed 12 miles ago. I fire her up and she purrs. Head out to the interstate, about 5 miles in, power drops light a light switch, can run 65 mph, and p0088 sets. Ok. Clear the code and continue on. 28 miles in, pull a pretty big hill, dpf shows overloaded, starts to regen. Ok, frequent regen. Go to pass a semi, bam p0088. Get back, and go to relative compression and guess what, 2 is 7% low hot. I rechecked, and 2 is always low, 5 and 8 showed 2 to 4%. Heavy heavy puffing from the breather. I did not check compression of crankcase pressure hot. Aso she was almost a gallon low on coolant with no external leaks. How in the heck is the clear dist 1225 miles, towed in, and I can get it to set p0088 easily. I can run at high idle, let idle for 30 seconds and stab the throttle and it will set almost every time. So I think a complete is the best option, and possibly a dpf. I have 2003 duramax injectors, a duramax upper oil pan, no comm with ECM on a 2002 Chevy, f150 for a dot inspection and 50 k, another dot and 100 k. A towed in Acadia with trans issues, an 06 t case pops out of 4wheel drive. derate and loss of power on 08 dmax, and I quoted 12 hours on a 2002 escalade in which the driver felt a 30 amp fuse was a good idea when there is a penny in the lighter socket. Melted the dash harness from the underwood block to the center console. Advisor said 3 more were coming in on Monday. Did I mention I am leaving for San Diego and a week off next Saturday. Gonna be a long week.

87 kenworth roll off for a annual inspection. "We're probably going to get rid of it."

Two page list.

Yep. Go ahead and fix it.

Fuuuuuuccccckkkkk.

Got a 2012 F-450 bucket truck with the V-10. 26815 miles, 2090 hours with 1209 idle hours. And 4 oil changes at 6500 miles each..

.[attachment=437:DSCN0889.JPG]DSCN0884.JPGDSCN0864.JPG DSCN0928.JPG

Should have had oil changed every 200 hours, meaning it should have had 10 oil changes instead of the 4 it got. So I proceed with prior approval, they have me do the warranty cancelation form. They then get back with me and tell me there is not sufficent evidence of lack of maintenance casuing the engine failure, and proceed with replacing the long block under warranty.... :banghead: 

DSCN0889.JPG

Yikes!

Well you boys talked me up one. 06 F-250 6.0L making 22 psi in the cooling system at less than part throttle. Needs the trifecta, and it's dropping all 4 cylinders on the right bank. Starting with 7, then 1, then 3 and well.