What's In Your Bay - Part IV

Rate this topic

Keith Browning

How does he know what is inside the box? Is he opening the box before you get it?  Hmmm maybe you need to start screwing with his head a little....Parts missing from that box....damaged it could happen.

As much as I'd like to I'm not going to mess with him.  He gives me 10% over cost on parts and he'll call around the country for me if there's something I want on the locator at cost minus 50%.  He does have a little undeserved sense of importance though.....but I think we all do.

Not much going on right now. All day today I moved around loose special tools, catagorized boxes and threw a TON of old crap out.  We boxed up the workshop manuals too.  Getting ready for the move in a few weeks but that's not going off without a hitch.  Right now they are proposing putting these 3 big ass workbench oil tanks right in front of my two 18k racks.  There is no way this could possibly work.  It's already going to be extremely tight if you had a cab off and needed to pull an engine.  With these tanks it would be impossible.  I am not going to lie it is extremely irritating looking at what these architects have come up with.  Clearly no one has ever worked in a shop, let alone one that is too tight to move around. Maybe when it's all done and we can fully see all the shortcomings I will outline the stupidity that ensued.  It's pretty damn ridiculous. 

There is a 6.0 that got towed in for a mystery coolant loss late today.  This is one of those trucks that is back every month or so with a leak in a different spot.  Headgaskets for sure, not sure if the guy will go for them.

Heater core on a 2007 F150.

Correction, customer diagnosed heater core. I have it out on the bench and no leaks. I even asked if they wanted it verified, they said just give us a price. Frick..what a waste of time.

6.4 on the hook, I'm told the customer says the keys lost program, various lights on dash, no crank, theft light flashing.  First thing's first, keys don't just lose program.  Throw IDS on, great, no communicado with the PCM.  Quick look under the hood, someone moved the vacuum pump so that means we were on a hunt for blown fuses, also the PCM connector release levers are broke as fuck. So I dig the tabs out for the body connector, it releases fine, no bent pins or anything looking weird.   PC/ED time.  Pinpoint test AE or something like that.  By now I've wasted an hour only to realize the PCM power relay is gone, gone, gone.  Where did it go?  Maybe it fell out.  For some unknown reason I happen to have a random relay that found it's way into my test probe kit, no idea how it got there but it has 4 pins and it fit in the slots.  Truck now runs but runs fucking weird, wrench is on, coolant temp indicator on, fan is screaming and it's idling at about 1100rpm. Shut it off, run KOEO.  Pops up 5 or 6 on-demand codes.  ECT, EGR throttle plate, EBP, MAF, IAT and maybe a few others. At this point I'm analyizing a wiring diagram with utmost scrutany.  None of these sensors have anything in common accept.......AHA!.. they're on the engine!  So thinking maybe a v-ref problem I unplug one at a time to see what happens, nothing.

Then I remember the screwed up PCM connectors, I greased up the body connector got it plugged in but never realized the main engine harness connector was pulled out just a hair, and that's all it took. 

What's weird is all the other relays are black 5 pins. This is the only 4 pin in the BJB.

I believe this truck just came from the auction possibly even sold not running. Drove it down the road and immediately I can feel the front axle u-joints are frozen. It's got a vibration at 20mph, goes away and comes back at 40. I need to look at the rear driveshaft u-joints too. Sold balljoints, maintenance, and everything else. Got a set of 6.0 headgaskets coming in Friday too.

• 2 weeks later...

2006 F-250.  150k on the clock, never been touched for anything.  This is a weird one, it's right in that January cutoff area for non-commonized engines. It has T40 injector hold downs and M8 rocker box bolts.  It also has a ring oil dipstick, upside down up-pipe bolts, solid turbo feed tube, saucer ficm nuts, one piece intake duct, etc.

It needs 4 injectors, coolers and a calibration update.  Also doing an STC, dummy plugs, hot side boots, FPR upgrade, metal cold side duct, turbo drain tube.  All the normal stuff.

Next up is 5.4 3v phasers, solenoids and tensioners. yawn

Dude, you are describing the 2006 I just finished exactly. 152K 4 injectors, coolers, hot side duct, blue boot, blue spring, I updated the stc fitting, had a rad tank leaking and orange coolant.  Oh and a seized caliper pin on the left front.

Customer drove his 2002 Taurus to Winnipeg from Regina in second gear (six hour drive), with the check engine light on. He takes it to a local shop that does starter and alternator repairs. They retrieve about 20 dtc's from this thing, and call a pcm. It show up on my door step with a used pcm on the seat for a pmi and programming. OK, so I pull codes before starting, and practically every output has a circuit fault. Check the fuse, sure enough it's blown. Oh well, I never question someone elses diag, so I pmi it, program the keys, of course no change. Call the customer, do you want me to see what is really wrong? Nope, I will take it back to them. I love my job.

2005 explorer ball joints, inner tie rods. 2012 with a bad def tank heater, leaking rad, and a seat belt pretensioner. Another 6.7 with corroded maf terminals causing a lot of issues, and a 100 k service. 2009 suburban with an intermittent high speed gmlan issue that I have gone over twice and only found 1 small chaff and couldn't duplicate the issue. Worked half a day today and can start fresh Thursday.

Got a couple of P208E reprograms done. Which also seems to be curing he P054F concerns as well. Now on to a truck with low fuel pressure and a crap load of SCR circuit faults.

04 F250, blowing coolant out the degas. 120k miles. This thing is on its 3rd EGR cooler and second headgaskets. Never once had an oil cooler put in it. Customer has been driving it with the EGR valve unplugged for who knows how long. First things first, pull the valve, it's soaked. Pull the cooler, it's bone dry by the time I get to it but I've got white crust all around the up-pipe flange and back of the cooler. Sneaky bastard.

Also found the cooler to intake gasket basically destroyed and coated in wet carbon. I can image this thing is leaking from the valve being unplugged. Back pressure has to go somewhere.

image.jpg

Well I can no longer say I've never pulled the same cab twice. Actually this truck is my eternal comeback so I shouldn't even be surprised. 05 6.0 I've done the coolers, all 8 injectors in 3 separate trips, exhaust manifolds, ficm, and most recently (4k miles ago) the headgaskets. Well the cabs off again right now for what? Fuel in the coolant.This things a plow truck with a spreader and the guy must have been lugging it down the highway in 5th gear with the plow up. He said the needle moved up on the coolant temp, he dropped it into 4th and things cooled down. This guy isn't stupid, next stop he pulled the degas cap and smelled fuel.It was a very small amount of fuel, the least I've seen yet to date. The crack was so small I couldn't get it to leak by pressurizing the coolant and soaping the injector bores. I had to get both heads off, put the injectors back in and apply 65 psi of pressure to the fuel passage before I found #5 leaking ever so slightly. Had I known it was #5 from the start I would have just put a head on it in the cab. Oh well, on my other rack is a 6.7 for a locked up ac compressor, belt is gone, P0401 stored in memory along with DEF codes, rad is leaking too. All retailOh yeah and outside is a 6.4 for some kind of low boost concern, not sure but I think it's warranty.

The 6.7L with a platsic oil pan that I didn't think needed a new drain plug, because the turbo oil tube was leaking, 1 month ago, is now back and I am replacing the drain plug.