What's In Your Bay - Part IV

Rate this topic

Keith Browning

:haha2: Holy shit I CAN'T stop laughing! This is right up there with the 7.3L Econoline I had that would not start - it had new air filters installed with the plastic wrappers still on.

And mike - even though I'm taller than you, you still got the edge on me when you jumped down from the entry way to the driveway at your old place and didn't land on your face like I would have lol!

Alright, note to self, any time unfiltered air gets into the intake suspect MAF sensor problems will arise, back in my gasser days I would have thought of this right away, today I never realized it would skew my DPF load calculations which threw me for a loop.

Nothing in my bay.  I'm working on a 05 F-550 outside because it's too high to fit in the building.  Hot no start, needs dummy plugs and upsold an STC.  Has egr coking problems so I pulled the cooler and verified it is at the beginning stages of failure.  Original red coolant tube still on it.

I stayed at work until it was too dark to see.  They couldn't throw me out because I was already technically outside. 

So my V-10 motor has went to crap also. I gave the customer 2 fixes; put in a cheap plug repair kit, or replace the head to solve the problem for good. Well after a few minutes, my service writer sells him a long block assembly. I'm ok with it, so this morning I get it all back together and fire it up. After it runs for a few minutes, I notice oil leaking from the transmission area   :banghead: 

The F-550 is running. New coolers, cleaned intake and turbo, STC and dummy plugs.  Blow it down the road and holy cow this thing is a major pig.  It's got a welder, crane, compressor and a metal body with cabinets that looks like it was built to survive a nuclear blast.  97k on the clock and it's well into 6000 hours. 

I didn't drive it before because it was a hot no start but I really wish I knew how it was before.  The unison ring was cracked which honestly the truck needs a turbo but the cust didn't go for it today.  I'm betting this thing needs a set of injectors too.  I will check fuel pressure tomorrow and let the customer tell me how it runs.

2 more 6.0s are waiting now.  One needs a VGT solenoid and some injectors.  The other is an 03 that's a borderline no start cold.  I know it needs an injectors maybe a ficm and I want to get a peak at the ICP sensor too.

6.4L in my bay for retail oil cooler and HPFP.Two 6L no starts outside, one is low enough that it might just be an IPR. And a 7.3L that was a no start until I found the a loose EOT sensor plugged in and laying in the valley. Plugged in the EOT that is actually on the engine and it started, doesn't run that good though off idle. Fuel smells old. I think this one was sitting for a bit. Fresh fuel and an oil change are first on its list.

Talked to the owner of the 550 today.  That truck grosses at 16,000lbs all day, every day.  It seemed to run much better today. 

Put glow plugs, harnesses, 5 injectors, ficm and FPR in one 6.0 today.  The other needs a FICM, icp, pigtail and 2 injectors. Didn't get an authorization on it yet.  The ficm was reading 19v this morning and the truck still started.  Slammed my tester with the good calibration in it to drive the thing. 

I worked on a F550 a couple summers ago, had a crane, service body, etc. etc.

Manual trans, had it in 2nd or 3rd going up a slight hill, pedal right on the boards, would barely pull itself. Getting back to the shop, she didn't really wanna stop.

Was there for a commercial vehicle inspection, and my boss told me I needed to reline all the brakes, front and back, because they were glazed and that's why it wouldn't stop.

No, I think it won't stop because it's probably 10,000lbs over the GVWR.... LOL

New pads, rotors front and back...and there it is. Still stopping....eventually.... NO better than before. That was a spooky ride. They parked it not long after that.

Today I finished up a 2014 Super Snake. 1000hp car, finished up the brakes and the other guy I work with finished up the supercharger install. It's an EXACT copy of another car we built, the guy got another one for his wife. Then started on an engine/trans assembly for a Cobra kit car, the roller should be at the shop by the time I write this, for the engine and trans tomorrow. Aluminum body on this one.

I worked on a F550 a couple summers ago, had a crane, service body, etc. etc.

Manual trans, had it in 2nd or 3rd going up a slight hill, pedal right on the boards, would barely pull itself. Getting back to the shop, she didn't really wanna stop.

Was there for a commercial vehicle inspection, and my boss told me I needed to reline all the brakes, front and back, because they were glazed and that's why it wouldn't stop.

No, I think it won't stop because it's probably 10,000lbs over the GVWR.... LOL

New pads, rotors front and back...and there it is. Still stopping....eventually.... NO better than before. That was a spooky ride. They parked it not long after that.

Today I finished up a 2014 Super Snake. 1000hp car, finished up the brakes and the other guy I work with finished up the supercharger install. It's an EXACT copy of another car we built, the guy got another one for his wife. Then started on an engine/trans assembly for a Cobra kit car, the roller should be at the shop by the time I write this, for the engine and trans tomorrow. Aluminum body on this one.

Our local power company used to get F350's with 351 efi and c6, load the hell out of them, and not only would they not stop, but they would drive them into the ditch to do some work and they could not climb back out. AAAH, the good old days.

The 04 F-350 drw I put injectors in yesterday has one hell of a vibration if you lug it into second gear.  It's like it's bouncing itself off the road. I had the other tech i work with drive it with me today and he thinks the flywheel might have been replaced with a single mass.  I've never felt a truck do this before.  It runs great if you don't baby it through it's gears.

I looked in the workshop manual and it says only 250/350s have a dual mass while the 450/550s have a single.  Why is this? 

The 04 F-350 drw I put injectors in yesterday has one hell of a vibration if you lug it into second gear.  It's like it's bouncing itself off the road. I had the other tech i work with drive it with me today and he thinks the flywheel might have been replaced with a single mass.  I've never felt a truck do this before.  It runs great if you don't baby it through it's gears.

I looked in the workshop manual and it says only 250/350s have a dual mass while the 450/550s have a single.  Why is this? 

If the clutch has been replaced at any point in time, the change up is to a single mass flywheeel.

Doing the final cooling system flush on the 6.4L oil cooler HPFP combo. Inadvertently buggered the fan clutch spacer for the VMAC system and have to wait to get a new one before I can put the fan back on. Have 2 electric fans and cold water running over the rad to keep the temps in check during the 1 hour run time for the chem flush. 

Working on the 03 that needs injectors, a ficm and an ICP sensor.  They declined the work yesterday, came out to get it today and when I put the old FICM back in it wouldn't start.  So all the sudden they woke up a little bit and realized they'd be paying to tow it so just spend some money and fix it.  The truck isn't bad and I can tell it hasn't had any recent 6.0 related repairs. 

The service truck I worked on earlier this week is coming back on monday.  It needs a turbo which I knew but I hoped it would last a little longer than it did.  I haven't had a comeback in a really long time, I kinda feel bad. 

The turbo on this truck is free as a bird. Last week It was stuck dead in the middle when I pryed the unison ring off. I wonder if it was in a spot that that the cust just got used to the way it was. I ran the latest cal on the PCM just to be safe. We shall see. To me it runs like a loaded down 6.0 with a stick.

edit - Talked to the customer once more today and we both agreed he'll just drive it and see what's what.  I showed him his broken unison ring and explained what happens when turbos seize up.  Headgaskets will be the end result of a heavy ass truck like that overboosting all the time.  It's making 23-24 psi right now, I can only imagine what it was doing before. 

Right now I've got another 6.0 that came in for "the works" package.  Too bad it's got oil in the coolant bottle.  I was just doing my multi-point inspection ;) 

Blown RH high pressure line on a 2002 F350. Retail oil cooler on a 2009 F350 6.4L( 3rd in 2 weeks). Ambo outside with a plugged DPF, runs for 10 secs then dies, followed by a loud hissing noise from the hole in the DPF sensor tube. Waiting on a VMAC spacer for the fan clutch on my last 6.4L oil cooler job (inadvertently ovaled it trying to heat up the lock tight while it was in the vice, so I could change the fan clutch. :banghead: .) 

Heater hoses in a 6.0 ambulance.  This thing is an 06 that has 266k on it.  I'm quite familar with this one too.  Last time it was here I put a degas bottle in it after it split wide open.  Now it's back and I notice the tell-tale white staining all over the bottle.   

Got me 8 retail injectors( customer requested) on a 2007 F350. Noticed some degas bottle purging(chip on extreme), going to try to get him back in later for head gaskets. 

Down graded to 4 injectors, left side was done recently by the driver's Dad. No go on the head gaskets.

Didn't do shit today. Looked at one 6.0 for a waterpump leak.  That job left because napa has one for $100 cheaper and the guys gonna do it himself.

Looked at a 08 E-350 ambulance with the DRLs flickering all the time.  Unplugged the module and taped up the connector.... fixed.  The drivers are supposed to turn the headlights on all the time anyways.

Had a 6.4 on the schedule for a P0088 and it was a no show.