What's In Your Bay - Part IV

Rate this topic

Keith Browning

2010 F350, Enhanced short block: 156319 KM, high crank case pressure, #2 -60 on power balance and 14% on relative compression, lots of white smoke. Forth one in the past month.   :rockon:

Next up is a 2008 F350 with only 24000 KM for bed plates. Been doing a lot of those lately too.

Rollback on the left got a EGT13 which was actually the 3rd one down on this unit. Good thing I unplugged it and looked at data logger. Rollback on the right was equipped with a Cummins and got a servicing. You would think with a front tilt hood there would be some room to work on the engine but, a.......not so much.

Posted Image

I ran out of grease and had to reload on the F-650, that thing has zerk fittings everywhere.

Ah, I didn't read the F650 part. Brain went "ooo! Big trucks! I like working on those!" Lol

It's been a long week. New guy at the shop drains the smarts and energy right out of me having to babysit him alla time.

It's facepalm like hand through your face facepalm. I am not against teaching, as we were all new at some point but this is just brutal.

Ever see someone holding a tool and it looks very unnatural, like they have no idea what it is for? That's this guy. 4th year apprentice, apparently. Worked at a ford dealer in Toronto for like 2 years.

Watched me put a clutch cable in a 03 cobra. I asked him to help me bleed it kind of as an offhanded joke. He told me no problem he had done that before.

Picked up one ambulance and dropped off another.  08 E-350 6.0 absolutely plumming thick gray smoke with some black in it.  #8 is all over the place on power balance.  Won't relative compression test, my guess is it's hydrolocking on fuel.  It has a bad knock but that could be fuel too.  I just put injectors in this thing 50k ago but the oil smells cooked.  I told them this damn thing needs an oil cooler about a year ago but somehow it's managed without one.  <sigh>

RIght now I'm right in the middle of coolers in a 6.0 f-series, this one got pushed to the front of the line when the job got sold at 3:30 today, all the black paint chips everywhere tells me this was a reman complete at some point. 

Outside is a 2012 6.7 cab and chassis dump that has a battery light on and is slightly overcharging.  The vpwr going to the 3 pin alt connector has 9 volts on it and will not light a test light.  My guess is a chafe somewhere that cooked the fuseable link "a".  Hotline agrees, it looks like this one is getting a main engine harness. 29k on it.

Had all the Powerstrokes in the shop today. 7.3L with 8 tired injectors (waiting on ok), 6.0L with rear tank delam (waiting on parts), 6.4L with an overfull DPF (customer declined, I see a straight pipe in his future), and a 6.7L with a chooched primary water pump (waiting on parts). Pretty neat day.

Ambulance had a cracked nozzle in cyl 8.  Pulled the injector out today and first glance I'm thinking what the hell, it's all in one piece?  Not quite, I didn't see the crack until I cleaned it up. 

Slammed an injector in it and ran the smoke show down the road.  Cleared up pretty quick but it sets an underboost code right away. I can tell the turbo is stuck for sure so I'm gonna do that tomorrow AND put an oil cooler in the thing.

Took quite a few pics to trying to get a good one but that didn't happen with my phone.  The crack is so fine half the people I tried to show it to couldn't see it. 

inj tip.jpg

You need to have a good eye, and know what to look for on those buggers. I have glasses, but need to take them off to see better up close.

Nothing in my bay, nothing on the schedule, diesel dry spell coming?  I didn't leave work one time before 7 for the last 2 weeks. 

The good thing is the new shop is coming along nicely.  I'm getting two 18k lb lifts and the other guy I work with is going to get a 12k right next to me.  Then the 5 car racks will be on the other side.  The 3 truck lifts are already in place and since they're reusing 2 smaller lifts from the old shop they're going to have to move us two down there early. 

Went in today with a clean bay and nothing lined up.  Right now I'm in the middle of exhaust manifolds on a 6.0.  Tried to diag a hesitation in a 6.7 pickup but I don't feel anything abnormal.  It does set a P1249 KOER though so I ordered a wastegate solenoid for it.  Drove it home tonight and still didn't notice anything.  I meant to take a peak at the EGR cooler core but I forgot today. 

Outside is a 7.3 leaking oil from the rear hpop fitting.  Also my 6.7 alternator wire quick fix is back.  Cust states it wouldn't start, started fine for me right off the flatbed.  Belt is squealing though so I took a peak underneath and the A/C compressor is clearly locked up with the clutch/pulley ready to fall off.  Looks like I'll be getting a chance to put a main harness in this thing. 

Just finished up a timing belt in a 96 Toyota. 6.4 in the shop right now pushing air back into the return side thru the cooler and air locking the fuel filter housing. One 6.0 not building ICP, and another taking about 4-5sec of cranking to fire sitting outside waiting for me to drag em in. Subaru head gaskets half done because the other guy quit after tearing it all down, so leaves me to figure reassembly. Then a Kenworth W900 needing a blower motor, new batteries, some hoses on the engine are leaking, a few air leaks, adjust clutch and a few more things on that trucks list to do before next monday.

Got one that totally threw me for a loop today.  09 F-350 6.4 ZF6 complaint of a speedometer inop, customer already installed a new diff sensor.  So I piss around for a while totally missing the fact that the ABS datalogger shows rear diff speed fine but the PCM VSS doesn't read anything and VSS_FM fault pid reads yes all the time.  So I run a KOEO, P0500 and P215A show up on-demand and I'm thinking okay, the fault is present now, find it.  P0500 is no help but P215A has a nice little pinpoint test in the PC/ED surprisingly. There is a VSS signal wire from the ABS module to the PCM, a quick check of the wiring diagram shows that VE822 also splits off to the wiper motor and the 4x4 module, any of which can cause problems with that circuit.  I've had problems with wiper motors before so I pull the cowl, check the connector, nothing.  Check the inline connector down by left wheel well, nothing. Load test the wire, nothing. No shorts, no power, no resistance.  I went so far as to unplugging the wiper/4x4 module and rechecking the PID, still showing yes fault.  Hotline time and I've gotta do some other stuff before the end of the day.  Hotline doesn't lead me anywhere just back into rechecking everything, I am out of ideas at this point.

So I'm thinking, start over, clear every code in this thing and start over.  Cleared the codes and nothing has come back, drove it 15 miles, vss reads fine, no fault, speedo works normally.

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished an Enhanced short block on a 2009 F250, sludged up oil and seized main bearings. The F550 I had in earlier with the sludged up oil left on a flat deck. Just brought in the 2008 F350 I put a long block in a few weeks ago, head gaskets are gone on it. I have had at least 7 6.4L's torn down to short blocks in the last 4 weeks. All retail but 2.

I haven't had any real steady diesel work as of late.  Finished up studs/headgaskets on an 05 today.  Also put a slave/clutch master assembly in it.  The spring between the master and pedal assembly was in about 6 pieces causing about 3 inches of free travel.  Common I suppose but really I have no idea. 

Just finished putting two long blocks into a 2013 f-150 eco boost.  The truck came in locked up with rods out both sides of the block. The first long block went it with out a hitch.  Coming back from my road test I heard a noise.  That long block only lasted 6 kms before it damaged a rod bearing on #5. I am not too sure why but maybe they left some debris when they re built this long block..  Installed long block #2 in record time, road tested and was very happy to find this one is not making noise. Knock on wood

Have fun with that bumper haha, all the gas well trucks around here have those, I can't tell you how many I've had to remove to change a primary rad. Actually the last one I shortblocked was a welding rig that had some massive home-made vise/pipe chain deal that easily weighed 3-400lbs. I had one hell of a time removing/steadying that thing even using my rack arms.  It stuck out a foot past the grille  

Needless to say the truck handled like a yacht.

Bad thing about the whole job is it went from CP to warranty good will. And my time for customer add ons got lost some where. I was to tired to fight about so I ended up eating the time for that.

I feel your pain.  90% of the trucks here have those rodent bashers on them.  the last one took me 45 minutes to jerry rig back up, as the install of the home "engineered" part was less than stellar.