What's In Your Bay - Part IV

Rate this topic

Keith Browning

Done it before, you'll lose about a quart.  Not as bad as it seems

6.0 ambulance came in today, P0299 and a P2262.  I cleaned the turbo twice on this thing already in the last year, first time it was frozen, second time it was during a cooler repair just to make sure it was still freed up.  Gave it a quick pid check today.  MAP and EBP both 0.00psi while idling, VGT duty cycled from 85% to 15% by itself and no change in either pid.  EBP desired was around 3psi. 

Looked at the 6.4 finally too.  RH up-pipe is split and it's got a P0231 for the frame rail pump.  Put a pump in it and the cust came and got it.  Plow truck and we had a few inches of snow yesterday.

Did the rad and a/c compressor in the 6.7 today, going in tomorrow to swap the EGR cooler and pull the DEF tank.  I worked 13 hours straight yesterday between looking at different shit and going from heads off to running on the 6.0 with fuel in the coolant. 

No start 6.0, a couple import trucks for head gaskets, vac trailer that someone ran the wheel bearings out of oil and burned up the end of the axle. And finally a 6.4 that I just finished draining just over 11 gallons of oil/fuel mix from the pan. Gonna be one of those kinds of week by the look of the schedule so far.

06 E-350 ambulance.  It's been blowing coolant out the degas and coming back for coolant leaks for a while now.  Finally it's got so much air in the cooling system it won't consistantly blow heat and they need to address it. 

This pig has 280k miles on it.  I'm at a loss of what exactly to quote without over repairing the hell out of it.  I already want to quote 2 new heads just to cover my ass and I'm thinking about 16 new lifters too.  I need to address an oil leak at the bellhousing but I really don't want to go as far as bedplate gaskets.  If I get a look at those main bearings I'm probably not going to sleep for a week.

The thing runs good, I've already done a front cover, water pump, oil cooler, injectors, and other minor repairs over the last year. 

Drop in. The warranty is better, everything is new for peace of mind, and you won't be completely married to it forever. Just my .02

Too late, I'm married to the whole fleet.  They're not fixing it right now so I don't know what's going to happen. 

Today I black boxed a 4R70 in an 06 F-150.  Really I could live without ever having to do another one of those. 

Got a 6.4 18' rollback in this new building they call a shop.  I am almost butted nose in against the damn wall to keep the rear from hanging out in the middle of the shop.  Of course it needs turbos and exhaust manifolds and I can't pull the cab. GRRRR

Also got an 03 6.0 bucket truck that needs a set of injectors and a y-pipe.  For a side dish I've got another 03 6.0 I'm putting in a hpop in my buddies garage.  Textbook no-start sawtooth ICP.

The guy at the ambulance garage called me today.  The one that needs headgaskets is now a no-start hot.  Oh well.  Fix it or don't.

Posted Image

Clockwise from bottom left: '03 60 ICP sensor and connector full of oil, '06 60 massive high pressure oil leaker, '06 60 2 weak injectors (when cold) and y-pipe and exhaust manifold gaskets, '07 60 random stalls (this is the one with the compromised 5 volt ref.), 03 60 HPOP took a dump.

I'm still trying to get used to my 2.  I picked the F-550 bucket truck last week about 6 inches off the ground just to put a starter in it but I still am hesitant to go high up.  I'm so used to working on the ground it's going to be hard to break that habit.

Yesterday I worked a little while on the F-550 rollback I'm doing turbos and manifolds in. Got 2 studs busted off below flush, one on each side.  I'll work on those tomorrow.  The high turbo is screwed but the low for some reason has too much axial endplay even though it's not leaking.  These damn 6.4s just seem to eat up so much time but I've had a cold all last week and I'm basically running in slow motion.  Hopefully I can get in high gear tomorrow.

I have an 18k at work and just did a provincial inspection on a 550 with a flatbed/dump.

I was also hesitant to lift it more than necessary to get the wheels off. Seems a little spooky to me.

Call me crazy but the turbo feed lines leave a little to be desired on these 6.4s.  I've been making a habit of drilling the banjo bolt holes out one size bigger.  I have in the past found crap clogging up these holes.  These bolts were no exception. 

1st pic is the high side compressor outlet, nothing was coming from the low side turbo on this one

2nd pic is a bolt I drilled with a 9/64" bit.  Stock holes are 1/8"

6.4 turbo bolts.jpg

I should have stayed in fuckin bed today.

Alright. So we have an ambulance that is over full on oil that isn't. This is the one I just replaced he engine in at Jasper's instruction and got a frantic phone call that it was fillin the crank case with fuel and accelerating on its own. Keep in mind this was a complete drop in so it would be another jasper fuckup.

Oh - what we meant was

It surges at part throttle. Which it cannot duplicate.

Next project.

07 3500 Chevy. check brakes. Check for broken leaf springs. No broke springs. Brakes good. Oh - what we meant was it's close to an annual inspection. IT IS DUE IN MAY.

next.

04 duramax truck. Overfill on oil. Accelerating on its own then dies. Diagnosed by mobile mechanic who put thermostats in it to fix an overheat issue. Oh - what we meant was it shuts down because the LOW COOLANT alarm goes off.

Because the wiring is caught in the fan.

What. In the fuck. Happened today. It's not a full moon, but most of this shit was towed in on Thursday when it was a full moon.

Got 2 right now.  6.0 missing on 7 and popping through the intake. The motor sounds like it's ready to come apart, major metal in the oil.  Been waiting days on what we're doing with it.  Other bay is a 6.4 with premium care.  EGR codes and low compression on cyl #8

Never done a ESP diesel claim.  I'm not sure how to handle this one.  Bare block?

Got 2 right now.  6.0 missing on 7 and popping through the intake. The motor sounds like it's ready to come apart, major metal in the oil.  Been waiting days on what we're doing with it.  Other bay is a 6.4 with premium care.  EGR codes and low compression on cyl #8

Never done a ESP diesel claim.  I'm not sure how to handle this one.  Bare block?

Short block and a full set of rocker arms is the norm on these. Unless the piston melted down enough to mess up the valve seats, which I have seen once. Then you add in a cylinder head.  Being ESP, you will most likely have to tear it down and take pictures.