What's In Your Bay - Part IV

Rate this topic

Keith Browning

Not looking good for the 6.4 I've got out right now. It's got foreign object damage on the #8 piston and left head. The right head has 2 helicoils in the rearmost exhaust manifold bolt holes. The lower hole was poorly drilled off center and crooked leaving part of the stud in place. Considering the proximity to a water jacket I don't feel comfortable reusing this head either. All over the up-pipes are torch marks and crossthreaded bolt holes. Not good.  Even if I put a stripped long block in it I still need 2 grand more for the high turbo and horizontal cooler. I am waiting on the go ahead for a complete engine assembly so I am going to yank the cab off this other one I got here.

image.jpg

.  Another blown up 6.7L in an F550 waiting outside as well, same company as the last one.

One more 2012 F500 5283 km, 1206 hours, 1015 idle hours, Same company as the last 2 engines I replaced, this one has a bent #6 connecting rod. The last 2 work orders are currently under review, we are in stage 1 of an audit. This is going to get real interesting. Owner instructed me to pull the engine and see what Ford says.

Got a complete ready to go in on the one truck.  Got the left head off the other. #2 and #8 cylinder walls out of spec for taper, out of round and diameter.  Shocking.

Clearly the high pressure turbo is on it's last legs, rockers are all worn out AND pushrods are all bent (wear marks from contacting the headgasket).  Not much, but the spec is only .001".  Put in for approval on a high pressure pump too. 

Our numbers are going through the roof since the new shop.  We are doing way more super duty work than other dealers in our class.  I am servicing multiple fleets none of which bought vehicles from us.  For now our claims are getting paid in a timely manner but I don't know how long that will last

.  Another blown up 6.7L in an F550 waiting outside as well, same company as the last one.

One more 2012 F500 5283 km, 1206 hours, 1015 idle hours, Same company as the last 2 engines I replaced, this one has a bent #6 connecting rod. The last 2 work orders are currently under review, we are in stage 1 of an audit. This is going to get real interesting. Owner instructed me to pull the engine and see what Ford says.

I failed to mention the reason we are in a warranty audit. The company that owns those trucks is also allowed to do certain field repairs under warranty, for some reason they have a hard time keeping front wheel bearing assemblies in their trucks. Since all the work orders go through our dealership, we get the blame, for now.

After tear down I found it has 7 con rods bent just enough to drop piston height but not contact anything. This short block lasted 8 months, I replaced it back in June last year for 1 bent rod. Now I get to push the truck out because there are no readily availabe head gaskets.

Nothing in either one of my bays.  Spent 20 hours at work this weekend finishing up the last 6.4 short block (flagged 18 on my ticket today).  So all I did all day was cleaned up, dropped 3 core engines in their dunage and boxed up a few turbos, injectors etc.  Didn't touch anything other than test driving the 6.4

Now I'm off for the rest of the week.  I promised I wouldn't leave until I was caught up. I thanked diesel Jesus the trucks stayed away today. 

Such is the problem with fasteners made of stainless steel and other nearly exotic metals.

Never re-use stainless fasteners - they will tighten up twice but they rarely loosen twice. Running a stainless bolt in with an impact can generate enough heat in the threads to make you consider a new career in the food and hospitality industry.

• Like 1

Since we're talking about exhaust bolts try and guess where I was for the last 3 hours?

Being off for a few days is basically not happening.  Today one of our guys got into a big mess with a v10 and some exhaust manifolds.  11 broken studs, 4 are so far below flush (2-3 threads below) I'm having a hell of a time getting wire to stick to them.  Got 5 out before I was too tired to focus any longer. 

We have one of those pro-maxx 2 valve drill guides.  I told him he can either try that or leave them for me to attempt again tomorrow night. 

Damn it.  Got 5 more out leaving one remaining and I cannot for the life of me get it out with the welder.  I've never been beaten with this method but I think that day is over, it got me.

My vacation is cut a day short too, there's too much work piled up outside.  Not like I actually had a chance to relax anyways. 

Nope, got it. First try this morning. Switched my wire over from .023" to the more standard .030". Much better penetration on the stud with the 220v I run my machine on. The guy already has all the new studs and manifolds on. All started perfect. :D

image.jpg

Theses a time and a place for both. Broken drill bit in a stud, get the welder. The welder trick also works for getting the dowel out of superduty transfer cases when they come out of the back of the trans. (Granted there is a dowel in the new trans)