What's In Your Bay - Part IV

Rate this topic

Keith Browning

From what I understand I have to basically cost cap all the failed parts and make sure it's more than a ESB, correct? I've never had a problem with motors under powertrain before but I've been known to exaggerate the truth also.

This one is pretty cut and dry. #8 STFT +20, 24" of crankcase pressure at 3000 rpm.

If the piston is damaged and there is metal in the pan you can guarantee the cylinder wall is scored up, that is enough to put an Enhanced short block into cost cap. I have never heard of anyone putting in individual parts and a bare block, mainly because you can't get them. Just have yourself a good story to support it when you put in for approval based on the cost cap. If you think the heads have taken damage you put them in the list, along with the most likely damaged rocker arms, and they will most likely tell you to replace the entire motor. Most of mine end up as an Enhanced short block with rocker arms.  

Thanks for the input. I have found a few #8 cylinder walls washed out already. Every one has mic'd out of spec so I'm not worried there. We'll just have to wait and see what I find, it may be a few days though. I'm into dummy plugs and exhaust manifolds on a high mile 06 6.0. These damn manifolds are rotted to almost nothing. Somehow the original dummies made it to 200k.

And there's another 6.0 outside that blew 2 gallons of coolant out the bottle today.

I spent a long time on those today, more time than I have to waste.  4 bolts total broke off below flush. For some reason I could not get the MIG dialed in. For 2 hours I welded up the stud and snapped it off. could not get anything to bite. Finally got my voltage and wire speed right and they started coming out. Around 4 the manifolds were back on, every bolt started perfect but not without cooking my mind for today.Jump in it with IDS, crank, crank, crank, ICP builds, crank, crank, crank, crank. WTF? Key off, crank, crank, fires up. What the hell was that? Now it fires every time and I can't get it to do it. Time to leave.

If you notice the block in the above pic it's pretty safe to say I'm going to be inspecting the cam sensor for rust jacking tomorrow. 

Got a 6.7L that spit injector 5 out of the head. Tore up the return line connector. Do I REALLY need to replace the whole return line assembly or is repairable. And what's with the injectors being backordered? The backorder notes states a part problem with a sub-suppler to the supplier? I thought that was funny.

Not the transmission on a 2008 F350 6.4L that I diagnosed a week ago and was told it was booked in for me today because the tranny finally showed. Instead it's in another techs bay because the advisor decided to give it away AFTER telling me yesterday she didn't want to give away my work. I told her I would have no problems getting it done today. :mad: Heads are going to roll on monday when she gets in. :twack:

06 F-550 that's a hot no start.  Can't get IDS on it because of shitty vpwr pin fit at the DLC.  I dug through mountains of pigtails today looking for a pin that would work, no dice, had to order a 16 pin connector

Drove this other 6.0 F-550 outside that's got a major oil leak and blowing coolant out the bottle.  This thing has a black reman complete in it and I didn't put it in.  It's still black enough that it could be SPW.  This thing is messed up, it sits there an idles the weirdest power balance I've ever seen, like the compensator isn't working.  Whatever it is I don't have time for it yet.

On tomorrows agenda is the 6.4 that needs a shortblock.  I updated a hotline for it since it's ESP, teardown time.  Hotline thinks the high turbo is out.  I guess if they have to blame something it might as well be that.

Okay, the hot no start from last week is diaged. The o-ring between the updated pump connector and branch tube blown out, it's more like a "c" ring. One problem, someone prior to me working on this truck put the updated connector on crooked and proceeded to crossthread a bolt into the branch tube.Also I have a 6.4 with contribution codes and wacked out fuel trims on every cylinder with little sparklies in the secondary filter housing.And I'm still trying to get this ESP motor torn down. And there's still 6.0 headgaskets sitting outside

I have another 6.7L F550 with a blown engine and an F350 6.7L with over boost issues coming in, both from the same fleet as the current F550 blown engine in my stall.

The #8 cylinder wall is wiped in this 6.4.  Not a lick of crosshatching left anywhere.  Measured the top diameter at no lie 3.906"

The spec is 3.866 - 3.867"  The ridge in this wall is a sight to see. 

The high turbo is getting replaced also.  Talked to Chad at hotline today to document everything I had found.  Very nice guy. 

Well it's official. I am 2 weeks backed up on diesel work.  If you would have told me this would happen when we moved into the new building I never would have believed you.  The shop is starting to seem awfully small.

We got slammed this week. Starting to schedule at the very end of feb. I have about 70 hours all ok'd sitting outside. I love having lots of work, but it is almost starting to be overwhelming.

I hear that.  I'm still trying to shortblock this 6.4 that's been here since January.  Got a 6.7 with broken manifold studs sitting in my other bay with no parts because the order didn't show up today.  I worked on another 6.4 all day in the drive through service lane because there's no where else to put it.  Right now only 2 trucks are sitting outside but they're gonna be about 40 hours of work total. 

08 Escape 3.0 for a total engine reseal. the main leak is from the upper crankcase seal.

07 450 6.8 with a wandering idle (cracked intake)

09 F150 used inspection, all four ball joints, all pads and rotors, oil change, only 2 ribs of the serpentine belt left remaining (the rest are wrapped around the tensioner pulley), high pressure p/s line, l/front axle seal and front pinion seal, master door lock switch, reverse sensor harness, 4 tires, 6R80 leaking from the pan and the main electrical pass through ..... if every used vehicle inspection in northern Alberta turns out like this then i will be quite happy. i'm not sure if i'm more surprised that: A] a truck can get in such poor overall condition, or B] that we're actually fixing the thing

Got an 09 6.4 that has a tank full of gasoline, and a fuel system full of metal. Come to find out last place he got fuel from, the tanker messed up and filled the diesel tank with gasoline. Last I heard, it's between the customer's lawyer and the fuel company. Something about our qoute being too high. I figure the fuel company is looking for someone to drain the tank and refill with diesel instead of repairing it.

Next I have a 08 F-350 with the trans dumping fluid out the front somewhere. Bout to start removing the trans, probably looking at a trashed TC bushing in the pump I'm thinking. Only thing that sucks is it's covered under ESP.

Outside I've got an 05 E-450 bus with a 6.0 that seems to be leaking oil from every spot possible. I qouted pulling the engine and doing a complete reseal, waiting to hear back.

08 6.4 with a plugged dpf. dist regen completed, 698.  Dist regen requested 452.  talk to driver and it has idled for 2 weeks on location and then died and runs for 5 seconds.  Towed in.  Really, idles for 2 weeks without the truck moving.  That will cost you 2,000 and

get the damn thing out on the road for 45 minutes every once in a while.

• Like 1

06 F-350 6.0, another fleet company I'm working on, same ones that brought me the branch tube. No start, put a ficm in it to get it running. Runs but damn near died on the road test. Fuel filters are plugged, fuel smells like its been sitting a while. Slam filters in it drives fine, it's only throwing ICP codes, glow plug codes, contribution codes, EBP codes and leaking oil plus it wanders all over the road. Get back and it's got borderline low fuel pressure. 40 psi wot. Got an exhaust leak at the back of the engine too.

Sold a FICM, ficm harness, HFCM, blue spring, 2 injectors, oil cooler, EGR up pipe, glow plugs, glow plug harnesses, EBP sensor, pigtail and tube, clean turbo, clean intake, ball joints, trac bar ball joint and bushing and a lof/ coolant flush.

Found the IPR screen trashed and a fomoco filter in a napa cap. Also found this beauty. It wasn't a hot no start but I didn't drive it far.

image.jpg