What's In Your Bay - Part IV

Rate this topic

Keith Browning

The more I do the more trucks come back!  I just put manifolds on a 6.4 last month and it's back screeching like hell.  I did them cab off and torqued every single damn exhaust bolt I could get a socket on. 

The 8 short bolts (4 each side towards the rear) all loosened up.  The 2 rear bolts on the right side were the cause of the screeching.   

Tightened them all from underneath and we're back on the road again.  I may be using more than 18 ft/lbs on future jobs, someone please advise if that is not the correct torque spec. 

I've also got a 6.7 that regens too frequently (nothing yet), a 6.7 for an EGT13, a 6.0 that has manifolds leaking cold causing an exhaust smell in the cab + both rear leafs are broke.  Also I upsold EGT2 and 3 sensors on the one manifolds comeback.  Of course the sensors came out no problem.  Talk about a day full of exhaust concerns

Well I just dug the hole deeper today. Didn't really get anywhere except one ambulance done I started yesterday is done.  Tried the reseal on the box, didn't work.  For some reason I blew the snap ring and sector shaft seal right out on start-up.  I'm trying to get the ring seated back in but no luck yet, before I knew it was 8PM.  I'm gonna have to push it outside.

Looked at another 6.4 with a coolant leak and a dipstick tube.  This thing has new rad hoses I put in back in Feb but it's leaking from something in that area, I can't tell yet.  It definitely had a motor put in it, if you run oasis on the truck it had a powertrain warranty cancellation but it's out by time now anyways.

The 6.4 manifolds job turned into a little more than I thought. 121k on the clock, almost 7500 hours.  Just to cover my ass I took this truck for a ride and pulled up my STFTs.  Watched #2 go to +13 and #8 go to +8 as it warmed up.   Relative compression?  #2 is down 9% and #8 is down  8%.  Ran oasis......dieselcare plus til 200k and 10/15.  I have never once done a ESP diesel job.  I guarantee this thing will fail the blowby test. 

Another guy I talked to last week dropped his 6.4 off too.  RH up-pipe leaking, he brought me some river city diesel up-pipes.  This truck is deleted to hell and back.  It's got nothing nowhere that looks like an emissions do-hicky

6.4, has new DPF installed by other repair facility, concern is mil on, and flames were coming from exhaust. Let it idle and oil is leaking from exhaust. How much money do you have?

Soon to my stall is a 2009 F350, customer droving on highway with oil light on then it quit. Pushed it in, added 12 litres of oil and fired it up. Turbo rattling, high pressure shaft broken, lower end squak...How much money do you have? $15,000. Might have been a whole lot less if he would have shut it down when the light came on.

6.4, has new DPF installed by other repair facility, concern is mil on, and flames were coming from exhaust. Let it idle and oil is leaking from exhaust. How much money do you have?

I guess not enough, they drove it out of here this morning....

Soon to my stall is a 2009 F350, customer droving on highway with oil light on then it quit. Pushed it in, added 12 litres of oil and fired it up. Turbo rattling, high pressure shaft broken, lower end squak...How much money do you have? $15,000. Might have been a whole lot less if he would have shut it down when the light came on.

Yeah but the light is GREEN!Must be ok!

I guess not enough, they drove it out of here this morning....

Mine left too. They have a relative that works at a Ford store south of me. Oh well.

Did an E-DOC pipe on a 6.4 by the WSM.  Never again, I can't believe I fell for that. 

I did one just a week ago. I just did a partial cab lift just like you would do if pulling an engine, and then you have all kinds of room. Don't even need to pull the LH up-pipe.

The tune is just gearhead's 8k tow, basically a 50hp no smoke, headbolt safe tune.  No compalints so far, there is definitely a nice increase in driveabilty.  Not looking to set the world on fire but I do like to play around a little. 

it's head gasket time! i'm doing a set on a 2001 Impreza and there is an 08 Forester waiting for the same treatment.

I got an assembled long block dropped off for an '11 Forester to put in later, too.

Between all that is brakes, ball joints, a hub bearing and PDIs. Life is okay in Subaru land.

Put a MAF and an air filter in that 6.4 with the soot accumulation codes, reprogrammed the PCM, cleared the DPF tables and took it for a ride. Doesn't even need a regen, DPF pressure is great. It's got some kind of aftermarket warranty so I "upsold" a front main seal/oil pump cover gasket just so I'd have something to do today.

edit - The MAF that was run with no air filter literally had bugs and pieces of leaves up inside of it.  I wanted to snap a pic but the parts guy snatched it up pretty fast.  There's a core on those things.

Oil cooler, stats, front crank seal, brakes and service on an 08 ok'd today. Another 08 leaking rad hoses, rear main seal and 100 k service outside. F150 no 4 wheel drive outside, finished putting in a junkyard rear axle in an 09 f150. Hit a pothole and bent the right side up an inch or so. Had 2 brand new gm ambulances in reduced power mode being delivered to Wyoming from Denver. Snow intrusion into the air cleaner on both. I can hear it now, sorry sir, we can't send an ambulance due to the snow. If you are still alive when the snow is though, we will gladly take you to the hospital.

Put a MAF and an air filter in that 6.4 with the soot accumulation codes, reprogrammed the PCM, cleared the DPF tables and took it for a ride. Doesn't even need a regen, DPF pressure is great. It's got some kind of aftermarket warranty so I "upsold" a front main seal/oil pump cover gasket just so I'd have something to do today.edit - The MAF that was run with no air filter literally had bugs and pieces of leaves up inside of it. I wanted to snap a pic but the parts guy snatched it up pretty fast. There's a core on those things.

I just pictured the parts guy grabbing it and going "my precioussssss"Lmfao