Spy Photos

Rate this topic

I have been collecting "spy photos" from the Internet as I find them. I am sure many of you have seen some. For obvious reasons I won't post them anywhere in the public section of this web site but if you guys are interested I can post them here. I have (presumed) 2007 trucks or mock-up test trucks and 6.4L ENGINE PHOTOS. If you know of any links or shots, post a link or send them into me if you want to share. I am posting this message to test the water... if any of our Ford employee members have any objections or warnings, please make them known now! Besides, this stuff is already circulating the Internet. I'll post on Christmas.

Alright! Keep your fender covers on! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

I'm gonna have to split these up cause the forums only allow a maximum of 8 images per post. I am sure that most of you have seen some or all of the truck pictures but the engine in the dyno room pictures are new to me. The first couple look like they might be a gasser by the size of the tailpipe.

Posted Image

Posted Image

I think that these may have come from an on-line magazine but if you Google KGP Photography and hit the web sites that come up, it seems they do a lot of automotive spy camera work and there are many sites listing many makes and models. Interesting to say the least.

You HAD to have seen these! My guess this is a diesel below.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

This truck definitely looks to be a diesel, once again judging by the size of the tailpipe. I notice that there seems to be more covers on this truck with the addition of the rear end covers and mirrors. The front end looks the same as the other pics. Did anyone notice that the front bumper appears lower?

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

...and a couple dyno shots of what looks to be a 6.4L judging from the bits and pieces of information we have gotten. I wish that the pics showed more of the top end in better detail but you can clearly see the dual stage turbo set up.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Since we can... I lightened up one image, blew it up and cropped out a part of one. I can't be sure what is engine and what is test equipment but the arrows point to some interesting areas I would like to know more about.

Posted Image .

Those arrows look like they are pointing to coolers of some sort /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif Did anyone ever figure out where those engine pictures were taken?

Yeah, I'm sure that you could "bet" /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

Okay, I'll play:

I am going to guess that the lower arrow is pointing to an EGR cooler which actually looks like a good place to put it because of the open space on that side of the engine... basing my comparison to the 6.0L. I am guessing that the top of the engine has become very crowded with the dual turbo and "God knows what kind" of fuel system this thing has.

Which brings me to my guess for the top arrow. I have been reading a little about the new type of injectors and common rail systems that use extremely high fuel pressure. Could that possibly be a fuel cooler that uses intake air as the cooling medium in the heat exchanger? That would be a clever space saving design if my guess is correct in the first place.

Who's next? /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/popcorn.gif

I do remember the Naistar engineer I worked with saying that the EGR cooler would be set off the engine, but it seems to me that it wo, oh never mind, I'm not even going to try and guess!

Just as long as I know what it is when it rolls through the door.

As far as the truck, how about the very pronounced front fenders. Possibly moving even closer to the Tonka concept?

It is pretty obvious Ford is trying to hide the front and rear.

Reminds me of spy photos of the '94 Mustang back in '92-'93 where Ford grafted '94 prototype front ends on the '93. Hmmmmm.

I do like the 150 style dash.

Happy New Year! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cheers.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cheers.gif

I am not going to say who's right or wrong other than one of you is close. By the way the engine in the picture is fairly old. Things have changed a little since that level was distributed.

Since the Tech Review Panel has seen the engine, I guess it is safe to say that the top one is a fuel cooler. As far as the dual-stage turbo...I was in North Carolina and Borg-warner has a display in the Asheville airport with a cutaway dual-stage variable turbo. Since the LCF has a Borg-Warner, then the 6.4 could have this setup. Does Borg-Warner have a site with turbo technical information...?

Do you think the intake is a good place to put a fuel cooler? I mean, if in fact the intake air is drawn through the cooler providing the cooling medium, what would happen if the cooler were to fail, spraying high pressure fuel into the intake? /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif I wonder how many RPM's it will hit before it let's loose?

I don't mean to be a pessimist but I thought I might point that out. Did anyone think of this possibility? I can almost read the recall notice now! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/puke.gif

Keith,

Picture a 6.0L oil cooler mounted to the intake with fuel lines going to it.

Cetane,Manuel,

Unless something changed recently, the turbo system is really nothing like the LCF other than having two. Have you guys have seen something different in the last month os two??... I was pretty impressed with the ones I saw, as far as the turbo goes...

We are talking about that silver layered looking part near the turbo inlet in the picture? Top arrow? Regardless of what IT is it does look like the intake hoses are attached... could just be the angle. Then again, there looks to be a hose or test probe everywhere on this thing!

I am actually relieved that my theory was incorrect. I would hate to think that the engineers developing this engine would consider such a risk. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/notworthy.gif

I have never seen a 4.5L so I cant speak as to the differences. I assumed based on the comments from others on the pictures it was close but I dont know for sure. As for the fuel cooler, the angle on the picture is what makes it look like a air charge cooled unit. I highly doubt you will ever see that setup in your service bay. I have never seen that kind of cooler arrangement so it was likely a very early prototype. That being said after taking another look it is possible that it isnt a fuel cooler. It doesnt look like the fuel cooler arrangement I am used to seeing. The fuel cooler is in that location but it doesnt really look like that. There is another cooler it could be.... The resolution is too bad to see the area the fuel connections should be. By the way the instrumentation load in the picture is very light compared to the ones we turn out now.

We are talking about that silver layered looking part near the turbo inlet in the picture? Top arrow? Regardless of what IT is it does look like the intake hoses are attached... could just be the angle. Then again, there looks to be a hose or test probe everywhere on this thing!

Keith,

the intake hoses make a sharp 90* at the cooler and into the turbo. The pictures arent very clear about that. But yea, we're talking about the same cooler. I agree it would be a bad thing to feed air through it. The test units do have a large amount of wires and hoses on them, so it does get distracting...

• 2 months later...

The aftermarket has fun with everything.... Does "Will not affect factory warranty..." ring a bell?

If something goes bad, It certainly has nothing to do with our accessory... it's obvious that the truck is a POS....