Hour meter reset

Rate this topic

Yes you can. I have done it a few times on 6.4s and a 6.2 gaser I beleive. If I remember correctly it was under Powertrain/Service Functions

On the 6.7L you can clear Oil Service Counter. I found nothing for engine hours on a 6.7L or 6.4L IDS session. Unless it is in a different module, but I am pretty sure it is stored in the PCM. 

I always thought it was in the cluster.

Just checked on this 2008 F450 6.4L. The hours are in the cluster, but I found no way to reset them.

I personally know someone who has had his hour meter maxed out at 9999 hours for quite some time too. Not only that, but he has a Lariat truck with the cluster that can be switched between (kms.) and (miles). When switched to (kms.), it reads 999,999 and won't go any higher (even though he has a lot more than that). I believe he is somewhere at about 800,000 miles. For those of you wondering, the vehicle being referenced is a 2006 F-350 6.0L.

Oh... Here's another question....  Why?

What happens when your replace the engine? More so a complete engine assembly or long block assembly, Engine hours should be reset along with it dont you think?

I have only reset them a couple times, all of which had replacement engines installed. Some customer pay and some warranty. Its been a year or two since I last reset one so its possible ford decided to take that function away from our IDS functions

IIRC it is in programmable parameters/personality on the 6.4l, I've never reset one on a 6.7L, but I've got a 6.7L I have to look at, I'll see what I can find on it.

Have a 2012 F550 6.7L in my bay and decided to have a look. They are in personality Engine hours and Engine Idle hours. Listed options are Enabled and Disabled. So does one have to toggle between the two to reset to zero?

>Module Programming

-> Programmable Parameters

--> Personality

---> Reset Hour Meter

(off the top of my head.)

----> Eat a banana

-----> Scratch my balls...

Just going by your avatar :cover:

>Module Programming

-> Programmable Parameters

--> Personality

---> Reset Hour Meter

(off the top of my head.)

Didn't see any option to reset, only to disable/enable.

Some vehicles you can reset it, others you can't.

I seem to remember seeing an "HOURS: RESET" pid.

I imagine if you force ASBUILT and do a PMI on the IC (forcing it to ignore inhale data), it clears it, because it seems to pull that data over when you exhale data from the old IC if you're swapping one.

A lot of this stuff I don't think is resident to one storage spot. I'm pretty sure you are going to find identical instances of the VIDBLOCK in two or more modules. I'm willing to bet a data mismatch is going to announce itself.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I see it was for a gasser - not quite so tempting to leave it idle. Did you try it to see if it actually worked?

yes gasser and yes less likely to idle all day however during a engine replacement it would be very nice to be able to reset it for obvious reasons.

I did not try this particular vehicle as I didnt want to reset it but have no doubt it would do the job if I chose to do so