New info?

Rate this topic

Posing my once a month question to our Edmonton instructor, I hear January as the soonest we will see 6.4 classes up here... Three of us will need the course and January is our busiest time of the year....

We have several customers with miled out trucks that are waiting patiently and nursing the old ones along (the Alberta oil patch is a hard life for a truck).

Jim, I am stuck in a transmission class this week and I was told the same. The instructor said December but thought that it would really happen in January. I would say start looking for the course to show up on STARS to get on a waiting list now!

Posted Image

I caught that post a couple days ago on TDS... thought it was interesting, meant to post the photo. So is this the real Mc'Coy?

ON EDIT 9/28: Apparently it is. Ford just posted a press release for the new truck and engine. Media Kit

I finally got to meet my new FSE who was at my dealership looking at a few problem cars. I had a nice little conversation about diesels and he told me a couple of interesting things. With about a month to go before International plans on beginning production of the 6.4L, (don't know which version) there is a major design change. Apparently, the engine is having trouble meeting the emission standard and a combustion chamber shape change is being made. This likely involves both the cylinder heads and the pistons.

On the same note, Ford/International are the only manufacturers trying to actually MEET the emissions standards in this class. From what I understand, the Cummins and the Duramax do not and both Chevy and Dodge have to use emissions points(?) and pay fines. I hope I got that right. :rolleyes:

I wouldnt be too suprised if they were changing the bowl again it has been done a bunch of times before. That being said it is a lot of work to recalibrate everything when you do that. With a month to go I hope thats not true. I havent heard we are having trouble with the '07 emission standard, so I would think if that is true it only applies to internationals truck division.

As for the Cummins and D-Max, I dont believe that at all. From what I understand meeting the '07 standards was the reason the Cummins was punched out to 6.7 and the D-Max has been extensively redone.

EDIT: I just read the press release on the '08 GM offerings on cheersandgears.com. Here is the D-Max paragraph verbatim.

"A cleaner, more powerful Duramax 6.6L turbo-diesel engine is available. It continues to lead the segment in power and torque, with power ratings increased to 365 horsepower (272 kW) and 660 lb.-ft. of torque (895 Nm). Upgrades to the engine and a new diesel particulate filter system help provide a 90-percent reduction in particulate matter and a 50-percent reduction in NOx (compared with current standards), meeting a new federal government mandate. All diesel manufacturers are required to meet the new emissions standard, starting in calendar year 2007."

I got the priviledge to hear one of these 6.4s a couple of weeks ago on I-94 while waiting in traffic,at a quick listen, via the moron behind me in his Saab, cell phone to his ear honking his horn because there was two carlenths between me and the guy in front during stopped traffic.anyway it was very quiet, actually reminded me of a 4.6 three valve with bad cam phasers. My five year old son the diesel detector

argued with me for 5 minuets saying it didnt sound like a diesel,he did like the f---ed camo paint job though.

--------------------------------------------

Senior Master Tech

Diesel Master

02 7.3 owner

Not sure about how the truck looks as a 250, 350 is ok, 450 is bad as hell!

I have been comparing the pics with the Tonka and except for the lights, it looks more like it than ever.

I also think it looks like a 60s vintage Super Duty, i.e the old Matchbox 6 wheel towtruck but damn if I can find a pic to compare it to(Damn did I just date myself).

I find the 6.4L interesting, looks like 50 lbs of crap in a 10 lb bag though.

Never thought I'd say this but I can't wait for school.

Stephen... you must be one old sumbatch.... I have no idea what a Matchbox toy might be.... I suppose you will try to tell me it is a small diecast metal toy from England that came in a cardboard box resembling a matchbox..... But I wouldn't really know since I never owned hundreds of them....

Next, you'll be telling us that there similar toys called "Dinky Toys".... /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif