Rusty Oil Pan

Rate this topic

One of our customers F-350 dump has a cut out crossmember.  I can only assume it was the one tech before me that did it.  I did work with him for a short time when I started but he didn't last long.  It's no mystery why our shop didn't do trucks before. 

Now THAT sounds scary. But there's no telling what you might find under some vehicles (vise grip steering wheels, ruddy great holes in unibody floors...). Some local welders look after their trucks as is they want to live a while longer...... others not so much.

Seen guys torch the rivets out of the spring perches on newer Super Dutys to get at the exhaust manifolds. :crazy:

I can tell you I would be getting a new truck if I picked it up from being serviced and I saw grade 5 bolts holding my spring in the front of my truck.

• 3 weeks later...

What if they were grade 8 bolts? :D

Anyone ever notice that bolts don't seem to fill the holes quite as much as the rivets did? What I usually did whenever I had to chop out the radius arms on twin I beam trucks is to drill up to a bolt where the shoulder fit nice and was long enough I could waste most of the threads (a la aircraft fastening practice).

No, I don't think I ever saw a problem with the "usual" way with GR8s, but I can be an anal old Ralph.

I have seen early 80's Chev Malibus and Caprices that had the trans crossmember cut and a square tube welded in to run dual exhaust, instead of running both pipes down the one side. I also saw a mid 80's Malibu with a big block in it. Instead of putting in heavier springs, it had a bracket welded to the lower control arm for a second "helper spring" taken from the load leveler shocks that can be bought at local big box automotive stores.

Makes you pine for mandatory safety inspections, don't it? I wonder how many accidents are labelled "went out of control" rather than "fucking thing fell apart". They don't safety check wrecks here unless there was a fatality - even then you have to wonder how many inspections are little more than make a punch and collect the dough.

What if they were grade 8 bolts? :D

Anyone ever notice that bolts don't seem to fill the holes quite as much as the rivets did? What I usually did whenever I had to chop out the radius arms on twin I beam trucks is to drill up to a bolt where the shoulder fit nice and was long enough I could waste most of the threads (a la aircraft fastening practice).No, I don't think I ever saw a problem with the "usual" way with GR8s, but I can be an anal old Ralph.
I see what you did there. :rofl: