Oil Rail Plugs

Rate this topic

In another topic we discussed low ICP on 4.5L engines and the leaking plug on the left hand side oil manifold that seals off the ICP sensor hole. The same manifold is used for left and right hand sides of the engine where the sensor is installed on the right and a plug is installed on the left.  I was going through all of the pictures I have in my archive and I began thinking about this. I realized that this does not happen on 6.0L engines that despite having completely different oil manifolds. Pictures show the use of the very same plug and seal. By reason it seems that this must be caused by the oil manifold perhaps the machining.

This reminds me of the 7.3L HPOP outlet fittings that loosen and blow the O-rings out in identical fashion. When installing new plugs and seals you clean and dry the threads and apply a little Loctite to the threads before installing and torqueing them. Though  I am not aware of any repeat failures of any of these I have repaired however I wonder if we should be treating these the same way to prevent them from loosening?

Opinions? Thoughts?

theplug.jpg

I think we have that issue with 4.5s because of the different oil manifold causing some sort of pulsation.  If you recall, 4.5s were way harder on port-plug D rings than 6.0s (if you don't find that too hard to believe)... I'm sure there is a relation.

This is a common problem on these engines.  The o-ring is available separatly.  On the IH side we had a recall on the standpipes and dummy plugs  for all the 4.5l, they just hammered the o-rings to death.  Found this plug loose on many of the units I dug into for the recall.

• 1 year later...

I don't have a lot of experience with 4.5s but worked on one the other day,  ICP codes, starts fine cold and stalls hot, won't start until it sits for 2-3 hours, obvious HP problem.  ICP only builds 300ish cranking hot after it stalls, but what gets me is that the IPR stays in the low 40's even though it won't make desired ICP. What gives?  Usually HEUI engines bury the IPR to 85% in this situation.  Also I was unhappy that ICPV was not available in ServiceMaxx and I didn't have my Saint with me.

:grin:

I have never worked on a lcf but the old icp adapter from 7.3 days would work to get your icpv corect?

Note: If the ICP Adapter Cable D94T-50-A is connected to the ICP sensor, connect a digital multimeter between signal return and ICP signal wires on the adapter cable. Crank the engine and monitor the signal. The digital multimeter should read 1 to 4 volts.

I have never worked on a lcf but the old icp adapter from 7.3 days would work to get your icpv corect?

Note: If the ICP Adapter Cable D94T-50-A is connected to the ICP sensor, connect a digital multimeter between signal return and ICP signal wires on the adapter cable. Crank the engine and monitor the signal. The digital multimeter should read 1 to 4 volts.

-Yes, I have one but I didn't have it with me, I could have also backprobed the ICP and gotten the voltage easily that way. I was just commenting on something that should be and usually is in scan data, that was not present. I am an ICPV junkie when diagnosing HP problems and get pissed when it's not in scan data. I was in good clothes and didn't want to get dirty. (Yea, I know.  Peanut gallery keep quiet....)

-Jesus, 1 to 4 volts? KOEO should be about .24v and cranking should be 1.2 to 1.5v after 3 seconds. Nothing like giving you a wide spread in the book :rolleyes: .  If you had 4v cranking, your truck is broken.

I'm more curious why the IPR didn't climb on an obvious lack of HP pressure.  Any comments?

:chinrub2: