2008 Super Duty/6.4L Overview

Rate this topic

READ THIS!!! ----> 2008 Super Duty & 6.4L Overview It is a 5.5Mb Power Point presentation about the truck and the engine that magically appeared in my mailbox today. Lots of good stuff in it. If you don't have Power Point on your computer you can Google "Power Point Reader" and click the Microsoft download link for a free reader. Otherwise if you have trouble with it I have converted it to an Adobe PDF file which I can make available but it's 12Mb.

Enjoy fellas! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/popcorn.gif

That appears to be the same one that I got to catch a glimpse of yesterday while training here in Denver. From what I heard, that presentation was given to several of the service managers/advisors in the Denver region, and I'm sure it was given in several other areas of the country. Some of the pictures still scare the hell out of me and how we are going to be able to work on them.

Buddy

Some of the pictures still scare the hell out of me and how we are going to be able to work on them. Buddy

Buddy, did you see the pictures in this link earnhartbuilt.com that Cetane posted? Look for the 2008 Duper Duty pictures. Theres a lot of under hood shots but they only show what is on the surface. Having seen the pictures in this presentation, I now know what lies beneath what we can see - THAT is what scares me! From the photos, I am guessing that the grille is attached to the hood exposing all of the heat exchangers when the hood is open. This provides less for us to lay on while working on them. That topside creeper is looking better.

Them's big words, Joey..... we might wind up wishing for the return of the HEUI injector....

The more things I see and the moe things I learn only lead me to believe I will never see or know even half of everything....

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone heard any news about this engine going in an E series? Back when rumors first started I heard that engineering was having a tough time fitting it in such a tight space. Just wondering if they would still option the 2008 E series with the 6.0L or better yet use an even smaller engine in vans. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/thumbup.gif

Back in the summer when I had sent Keith the picture of the F series that he posted on the old Front page. I had spoken with the drivers from Livernois engineering. Per our discussion they had said that they have a few already outfitted with the 6.4. The way they descibed the van it will have a extended nose almost like the Chevy vans. No time frame as to when we might see these out on the road.

Oh well, I guess having an E series with room to work was a naive idea anyway. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/shrug.gif The 6.0L in a van isn't that bad unless you have to change injectors I guess. Only time will tell. Actually I'm really looking forward to the new launch.

At what point is stuffing an engine like the 6.4 become unthinkable? Man, is our product line screaming for a smaller diesel or what? I was watching Fordstar today anp people were asking questions about diesels in the F150 and so on. A smaller inline six would be ideal to allow for the extra crap bolted onto these things now with all the new emissions coolers filters and traps. If we could all put our balls back in our pockets and end the torque war maybe some sensible efficient engines could be made And why a V-8 anyway?

• 2 weeks later...

Almost looks like they may be keeping the 6.0 in the vans. Noticed tonight on the Service message tab on FMCdealer about red dyed fuel and LSD & ULSD fuel usage in the different engines. 6.0 engines in the E-series manufactured after Jan 1, 2007 will require ULSD, which makes me think they may be retrofitting the 6.0 to meet the emissions requirements, doesn't mention a 6.4 in the E-series.

Buddy

Seems like the E-box has almost always been a year or two behind the trucks as far as new stuff is concerned....

Not sure how that works as far as EPA requirements or what have you.

I can't see a smaller engine in the Econoline since they are popular as ambulances and I can't see F series replacing them. That few feet difference between the length of a truck and a van can make or break the choice when manoeuvering in tight emergency admitting lanes.

I am pretty sure that I heard the 6.4 WILL make it into the Econoline next year on one of those Ford Star broadcasts and from one of my commercial salesman was at the E Series plant not long ago and he also told me that the front end will be new. It supposedly will look similar to the current Super Duty nose. There will be only two trim levels: one with chrome and all the appearance goodies and two, a fleet level that has painted bumpers, no chrome and no goodies. I am not sure what goodies meant but I assume things like trim panels, covers and carpet are included in that list.

As of now, the 6.0L will remain in the MY07 E-series. However, Ford is notorious for making last minute changes to the E-series, and the now-defunct Excursion platform.

The engine will not meet the '07 emissions standards. It gets somewhat technical & complicated, but fines and/or credits can be used to offset the missed emissions. I'm not sure if Ford or Nav would be responsible, but Ford has recently dispatched an army of lawyers to all their suppliers in an attempt to demand "concessions."

- Jay

The funny thing is I heard the 6.4 simply won't fit and I also heard that it will. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/shrug.gif Now that I have seen the engine (removed from a test mule) from all angles I would say it's going to be a grotesque fit. When I removed a van body to replace a 6.0 I realized just how tight that sucker really is in there. The main problem I see is all the stuff on top of the engine like the fuel cooling unit and the piping for the turbo and air management. Don't forget those large dual EGR coolers too! I think some redesign of the engine compartment is necessary.

Thanx for the info Jay /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/thumbup.gif

Keith, let's not forget what they did to the oil filter on the 6.0 to get it into the vans.

The EPA has spoken and, I'm pretty sure, Ford will listen. The 6.4 will be in a van and it will not be pretty.... At this time, I am Googling "vacuum cleaner sales positions"... hopefully, I wont make it through basic training until the weather warms up....

On a serious note, I firmly believe that we, in our lifetimes, are unlikely to see some powertrain engineer have an epiphany that will lessen our burden in these emissions reduction efforts.

I think I'm trying to say that it will be quite some time before we see things get better.... until then, they will get the other way...

Hey, forget the EPA! What about the fact that these two diesel engines are almost too big for the engine compartment in the Econoline. It has been rumored, I heard it from my FSE that just to remove the valve covers on a Super Duty, the cab has to come off. Think about that for a minute. What is going to be necessary on an Econoline? What if you can't get the body off? With the 6.0 you had to strip the engine to get it out. Just thinking about it makes me !@*!#?! sick! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/puke.gif I know, DYNAMITE! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

• 4 weeks later...

Everyone is asking about the Econonline, but no one has a concrete answer as to when it will happen. Since serviceability has been so well scrutinized on the F-series, they probably want to be VERY careful with the E-series. I guess a tilt-cab just would not pass crash testing on the F-series and the many variations of bodies for the E-series may prevent that, too. One engineer said he had been working with the 6.4 since 2003, so you figure someone must know the plan. Maybe the emissions credits from 6.4 will offset the 6.0 penalties for awhile...

I was told by my FSE last week that a new E-Series is in the works and that the nose was longer and reminicent of the '08 Super Duty. Possibly a tilt nose?

He did also say that the van will get the 6.4L in the future.

One thing for certain is the 6.4L has zero chance of fitting in the current van and this was confirmed to me this week by a Navistar engineer working with me on a problem child.

I wonder if they thought of some kind of sub-frame configuration that would allow us to disconnect everything then unbolt the sub-frame and raise the entire vehicle up off of the sub-frame and engine. Maybe leave the trans bolted to the engine as well.