A pretty expensive butt...

Rate this topic

Alex Bruene

The other day, I had a customer come in to the shop with a list of fines he recieved from one of our Provincial Motor Carrier Enforcement officers. 

The fines issued ranged between $65 and $500, for items such as horn inoperative, incomplete daily inspections, parking brake not holding, a bad tire, and the list goes on. 

All these fines stemmed from a roadside inspection that he was awarded by said officer who initially pulled him over because he was smoking inside the vehicle (smoking in a work vehicle is a no-no in Ontario), and he decided to lip off to said officer in the mean time, warranting the book being thrown at him... The inspection ended up in over $3000 worth of fines between the driver and the employer, including $305 to the driver for the cigarette and the employer got fined $670 for not letting him know it's illegal... 

Followed by another $940 for me to replace his clockspring, adjust the parking brake and replace one tire and he's ready to roll!

I don't know if there's a moral to this story... I just thought I'd share it.

Don't smoke and drive!  :flamethrower:  :cover:

• Like 1

Doesn't pay to get mouthy to those guys, they get even ! Seen it too many times when I worked for an independent truck shop, spending my day at the scale house fixing trucks. But then again, if you play by the rules, there is nothing to worry about.

Man canada sucks :crazy:

I understand the smoking in public places, hell I even dispise guys smoking in our work trucks against  company policy but to have a cop pull you over for seeing you smoke in a vehicle is a little rediculous if you ask me. I would think they would have better things to do then police smoking habits

• Like 1

Man canada sucks :crazy:

I understand the smoking in public places, hell I even dispise guys smoking in our work trucks against  company policy but to have a cop pull you over for seeing you smoke in a vehicle is a little rediculous if you ask me. I would think they would have better things to do then police smoking habits

Not to be rude, but that was uncalled for. BTW, it's an Ontario thing, not all provinces share the same laws. Plus it's a safety issue and these guys tend to throw the lit butts out the window, that is what sucks, not Canada.

Apology accepted. 

It should be law here in Alberta as well. Every summer there is at least one grass fire along the Anthony Henday ring road in Edmonton. Guess how they start. They can ticket you for having a pet in your lap while driving, why not a smoke in your mouth?

You can smoke in anything you want, as long as it's not a work truck or has a company name on the side, regardless if you're the only operator/owner of the company.

Saw a cop talking on his cell phone today while driving, however.

You can smoke in anything you want, as long as it's not a work truck or has a company name on the side, regardless if you're the only operator/owner of the company.

Saw a cop talking on his cell phone today while driving, however.

If you read the legislation on distracted driving, emergency vehicle operators are exempt. 

I was in Atlanta Georgia on my way to the airport, and doing about 80 MPH trying to keep up with traffic. It was about 2 A.M. the freeway was 8 lanes wide "snaking" over and under bridges (they call that section "spaghetti junction"), it's a white knuckles drive for sure. All of sudden a car passes me on the shoulder!!!!!!! had to be doin' at least a 100 MPH. Right after that, a cop on a motorcycle passes me going even faster trying to catch the guy all the while he's one handin' it whilst talking on the radio!!!!! Fuckin' balls of steel this guy.

I was in Atlanta Georgia on my way to the airport, and doing about 80 MPH trying to keep up with traffic. It was about 2 A.M. the freeway was 8 lanes wide "snaking" over and under bridges (they call that section "spaghetti junction"), it's a white knuckles drive for sure. All of sudden a car passes me on the shoulder!!!!!!! had to be doin' at least a 100 MPH. Right after that, a cop on a motorcycle passes me going even faster trying to catch the guy all the while he's one handin' it whilst talking on the radio!!!!! Fuckin' balls of steel this guy.

Maybe your vehicle will be in the footage of the next episode of Cops.  :rockon: