E-series cp labor times

Rate this topic

Chase

All you guys with E-series experience, what is an expected time for HPOP, standpipe and dummy plug replacement?

2005 E450 6.0.  Just would like to know if i'm getting shafted.  Advisor quoted 21 hrs with diag.  Van was a no start towed in.

Depends on how you take the valve covers off I guess.How do you know it needs dummy plugs?

Can you get the right side valve cover off without removing the LH engine mount?

Depends on how you take the valve covers off I guess.How do you know it needs dummy plugs?

Can you get the right side valve cover off without removing the LH engine mount?

Why does that matter?  The left side engine mount comes out in less than 10 minutes...

Is it a bus/cube van or a regular econoline passenger style van?

Cube Van 25 passenger college bus

Why does that matter?  The left side engine mount comes out in less than 10 minutes...

I suppose your right about that. 

Never done anything to an E-series like this.

Don't be afraid of the engine mount...  Just don't follow the service manual directions, or you'll be removing a lot of unneccesary parts.  Just remove the 4 bolts to separate the 2 pieces of the mount, remove the nuts from both side mounts to the crossmember.  Jack the engine up with a block of wood on the bellhousing until it's high enough to get the frame side portion of the mount out.  Then lower the engine watching not to put too much tension on the powersteering return hose.

+1 on that.  Basically the only thing I do is remove the mount It takes longer to fight with the right side cover , bend it, scratch up the sealing surface or damage it in some other manner.

Sheeeeooot!  21 hours?  :o  

The more you do the more you'll pick up pace, at first the labor times seem ridiculously low.  I've only been doing e-series 6.0s for a little over a year now and I'm finally meeting book times with ease.  The left mount is not bad.  I use an expedition bottle jack and a 4x4 8" long piece of wood on the bellhousing.  Loosen the right mount so the motor moves around easier and take the isolator half of the whole deal off the left side, leave the left adapter bracket on the engine.  I do service one Quigley 4wd conversion, that one needs the oil filter housing removed to get the left mount out. 

I did 13 hours on the last front cover and 11 hours on the last set of injectors. 

So are you guys still removing the cooling module and all of the front components as well?  This doesn't seem too bad i'm just taking my time to not break anything and remember how it all goes back together.

So are you guys still removing the cooling module and all of the front components as well?  This doesn't seem too bad i'm just taking my time to not break anything and remember how it all goes back together.

Nope.  Just the alternator, but that's only because it's in the way of getting the valve cover out.  Don't drain the coolant.  Don't touch the hoses.  Don't touch the fan...  Yada, yada, yada...

Oh, I got way too carried away then.  Only top alternator I assume, or both?

Both, if it has two...  But, remove the secondary after removing the mount because you'll have better access to the bolts.

• Like 1

Well it's out the door and gone.  Wasn't too bad but next time I definately won't take the radiator out if I don't have to.

Thanks guys.

• 1 month later...

Well you guys came through again.  Did a #1 injector and shaved a lot of time off that repair. I never thought any of those alts could come out they way they did. It wasn't nearly as hard as I thought it would be getting the tensioners loose or the belts back on. 

• Like 1

It wasn't nearly as hard as I thought it would be getting the tensioners loose or the belts back on. 

When I remove the primary belt, I take a 36" 1/2" drive extenstion and slip it under the belt on the passenger side of the alternator and pry against the valve cover to pull the belt tensioner, then I reach down and lock the tensioner lever.  I use an extension because it has no edge to damage the belt.  When I'm done, I slip the belt back over the alternator and use the same method to release the lever.

• Like 2