Injector Cup Replacement

Rate this topic

I have an 01 e series van in the shop that needs a set of injector cups.  Just looking for tips on doing these in chassis to make life less stressful.  Can they be done in chassis?  This is a service body so removing the cab is not an option.  Thaks in advance for any tips.

It can be done with the right tool. Technically you are supposed to tremove the cylinder head which I think is overkill. You do need to take steps to ensure no metal shavings end up in the cylinder. Fluids can be purged afterward.

Here is an adapter I made for use with the remobal tap. It is just a steel tube with a washer welded to one end that makes use of some threaded rod, a bearing and a nut. There are commercially available versions of this too but they are expensive.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I am familiar with the technique, just never replaced them in an e series and want to be sure that clearance will not be an issue.  I made a similar tool using a socket to act as a puller.

Technically you are supposed to remove the cylinder head. Now that you mention it this is a van which could make things tight. Never did this in a van.  I don't think you need too much inertia to seat these cups so you might not need too much room. What if you use the 6.0L approach and remove the engine mount opposite of the bank of injector cups you are installing - this will tilt the head away from the firewall and facing up slightly more.  Might give more room...

FWIW, and for how long it takes, I'd yank the engine. That way you know there's no chance for a screwup, leak, etc, and you aren't beating yourself to death doing it. I'm kind of a large lad, so I try and avoid any fucking around in vans if at all possible.

I have seen a guy do it in a van, but I'm not sure how he installed them.

Like Matt said, does it need an oil pan/dipstick tube insert?

I made up a tool to do them in chassis years ago.  I can do a set in about 4 hours.  You need to remove all the rockers and push rods.  Take a dime, cover it in grease and drop in into the cup before installing the tap.  That will catch all the filings.  There is more than enough room to install them with a hammer. 

I don't know if you can install them with the left engine mount in place.  I remove it for the right side.  There is sufficient access on the left side with out removing any mounts.

• 1 month later...

Just an update on this.  I removed the left motor mount, left all the rockers and push rods in place, had no issues at all, other than it was just tight.  My modified cup tool that I used for UPS cars, worked perfect.  Thanks for the suggestions, it save me the r&d time.

• Like 1