ONTARIO PMCVI requirements.

Rate this topic

Aaron

Here's a question.

Annual inspections are required for the following, and I quote:

Trucks, trailers and converter dollies alone or in combination with a total gross weight, registered gross weight or manufacturer’s gross vehicle weight rating exceeding 4,500 kilograms (kg),

So, with the use of the term "OR" in there, does that automatically push my truck (11,400lb/5175kg GVWR) into that category? Even though the ownership licenses it at 4000kg?

What I'm asking, is do I need a commercial safety on my f350 which is used primarily for personal transportation? (No, I do not have the red sticker denoting this on my front plate as eligibility for that ends at 3000kg RGW)

Mike Chan? What's your GVWR in the door, are you sporting a yellow sticker?

Aaron, thank you for the laugh. I needed it. When I purchased my truck back sometime in September of 2011, the previous owner licensed it as commercial. When I transferred the ownership over to my name after officially taking possession of it, I never bothered to change the status of it, until I went and purchased my personalized plate "M CHAN68". And yes, I am sporting that red sticker on my front plate. However, at 4536 Kg. (10,000 lbs.) GVWR, I am 36 Kg. over the 4500 Kg. limit for light duty emissions classification. This means I get dinged the cost for medium and heavy duty class emissions every time I'm due for it. BUT, in answer to your main question, NO I am not sporting that flimsy yellow sticker, which is exactly what I was trying to avoid, when I changed my plates and ownership classification over.

By the legislation, your truck with a manufacturers GVWR of 4536kg, requires a yellow sticker.

Further compounding this? If you don't have a T license you can't safety it.

I'm all for annual inspections but this is bordering on lunacy.

Can't get a straight answer from anyone at the MTO either.

My loophole? "PRIVATE CARRIER NOT FOR HIRE" in back window.

It works like this (at least, I think it does)...  If your GVWR is below the cut off weight, you're fine...  Unless you tow a trailer that brings you above the cut off weight.  It does not matter whether you use it or personal or commercial use.  The only exception is if you're going above weight towing a camper/RV of some sort.  We've had quite a few people fined because our sales department didn't want to pay the extra fee for a PMCVI on a new vehicle because the vehicle was not being used "commercially".  Another example, a guy I work with has a single wheel F-350, which is below weight.  He got stopped while towing a 2 place snowmobile trailer.  The weight of the loaded trailer took him over 10,000 pounds, so he got fined for no sticker on the truck AND the trailer.  Don't take a chance.  Get a sticker. 

By the legislation, your truck with a manufacturers GVWR of 4536kg, requires a yellow sticker.Further compounding this? If you don't have a T license you can't safety it. 

You only need a T for above 26,000 pounds... Or something along those lines.  Up to F-550, S license is fine.

I guess this depends on what you're employer is like but, anywhere I have worked, we were never charged for the sticker whether it was needed for our  personal truck or trailer. As long as your truck is in safe condition, which it should be, what is the issue in having the sticker. It eliminates any confusion or arguing with MTO or the police should the situation ever arise, and if you want to drive a heavy truck, that's the price you have to pay. if it is personal use, you don't have to do pre trip inspections, or keep a log book. Once you hook up a trailer to it, except an RV class trailer, that's a whole new ballgame. My 2 cents, and I am sure I will take some flak for it is, if you are going to scrutinize and pick apart a customers truck, best you do the same to your own, lead by example.

As far as a "T" license, it is only needed on vehicles/trailers over  somewhere between 9- 11,000 kg, unsure of the exact number, or if it is equipped with air brakes.

Just got off the phone with MTO.

9000kg in our circular brown book is the limit for the S license on a safety.

ANYTHING over 4500kg in the door sticker needs yellow sticker.

Just got off the phone with MTO.9000kg in our circular brown book is the limit for the S license on a safety.ANYTHING over 4500kg in the door sticker needs yellow sticker.

9,000 kg would be an F-550...  As far as door sticker, I do believe it's registered weight, not GVWR for the yellow sticker requirements... You can register your vehicle at a weight below GVWR, but don't get caught above your registered weight if you try that!

I guess this depends on what you're employer is like but, anywhere I have worked, we were never charged for the sticker whether it was needed for our  personal truck or trailer. As long as your truck is in safe condition, which it should be, what is the issue in having the sticker.

We used to attach stickers to new vehicles for no additional charge, then we got audited by MTO...  Somehow, during the audit, they found we were putting stickers on for free.  They asked how we can do a "proper inspection for free"... We stated that they were new vehicles, so inspections weren't being done.  They were not pleased with that answer.  According to them, you must to a complete inspection on every vehicle, whether it has 1 km or 1,000,000 km on it. So, for the past 5 years or so, I've been getting an additional 2 hours per PDI to do a PMCVI. 

Just got off the phone with MTO.9000kg in our circular brown book is the limit for the S license on a safety.ANYTHING over 4500kg in the door sticker needs yellow sticker.

9,000 kg would be an F-550... As far as door sticker, I do believe it's registered weight, not GVWR for the yellow sticker requirements... You can register your vehicle at a weight below GVWR, but don't get caught above your registered weight if you try that!
I asked that. It is by the sticker in the door, regardless of registered weight.

• 2 weeks later...

I guess this depends on what you're employer is like but, anywhere I have worked, we were never charged for the sticker whether it was needed for our  personal truck or trailer. As long as your truck is in safe condition, which it should be, what is the issue in having the sticker.

We used to attach stickers to new vehicles for no additional charge, then we got audited by MTO...  Somehow, during the audit, they found we were putting stickers on for free.  They asked how we can do a "proper inspection for free"... We stated that they were new vehicles, so inspections weren't being done.  They were not pleased with that answer.  According to them, you must to a complete inspection on every vehicle, whether it has 1 km or 1,000,000 km on it. So, for the past 5 years or so, I've been getting an additional 2 hours per PDI to do a PMCVI. 

WTF!? Now I'm confused. Our local MTO guy just told us we WERE NOT allowed to charge for the PMCVI on a new vehicle unless it had major upfit mods done to it. Just charging for the sticker, but not inspection....guess I have a phone call to make tomorrow.

His exact words were "do you check brakes, steering components and wheel torque on a PDI?"...  I know we used to check wheel torque on PDIs, but it's been removed from the process...  Steering is just visual and operational, you don't check for loose components...  Brakes are just assumed, seeing that the vehicle is new.

BTW, you'd better not quote me on this... The last thing I need is my gravy train to grind to a halt!  :hitfan:

The update that becomes effective January first requires recorded brake rotor measurement as well as tire pressure.

I thought the revised procedure came into effect on July 1st of this year...  We have been doing it since then.  Rotor thickness, drum diameter, wheel torque, tire pressures, tread depth all has to be recorded.  ABS lights must function and show no fault on anything built after July 1st, 2011 - that will be changing to ALL vehicles in the new year.  No aftermarket window tint on anything built after July 1st, 2011 - changing to ALL vehicles in the new year...