c'mon Ford

Rate this topic

Brad Clayton

Nov 22 2013 4358 -2013-2014 Fusion/Escape - 1.5L, 1.6L GTDI and 2.0L GTDI oil capacities

EcoBoost badging is common on vehicles equipped with a 1.5L GTDI, 1.6L GTDI or 2.0L GTDI engine. However, oil service fill capacities are different. Engine size can be identified from under the vehicle during an oil change by observing the oil filter orientation. The filter on a 1.5L and 1.6L is mounted horizontally; a 2.0L filter hangs vertically. Owners Manual and Motorcraft information on engine oil capacity (including oil filter) is correct. The 1.5L and 1.6L utilize 4.3 qt (4.1 L), the 2.0L holds 5.7 qt (5.4 L). Always fill each engine with the correct amount of oil.

Here's am idea, how about commonizing the oil capacities or at least design the friggin' pans to hold a number that is rounded up to halfs or full quarts. :rolleyes:

I am not surprised........just frustrated. You have 3 small four cylinder engines that are extremely close in displacement yet take different capacities and can't run a simple 4 quart or 5 quart oil pan.

We had this same discussion here at the shop yesturday...weird. I remember when a 4 cylinder took 4 litres, a V6 took 4.5 litres and everthing else took 5 litres.

We had this same discussion here at the shop yesturday...weird. I remember when a 4 cylinder took 4 litres, a V6 took 4.5 litres and everthing else took 5 litres.

That sounds like all the GM engines of the 80s and 90s era.

Yup, worked at Canadian Tire and Midas during my pre-apprentice days from 88-91

Yup, worked at Canadian Tire and Midas during my pre-apprentice days from 88-91

Yup. And did you happen to notice Fords always seemed to take more oil I guess because most of that era took the FL-1A filters that would hold one litre alone?