Vc-9 flush with oil cooler replacement

Rate this topic

Do you guys do the flush before, or after, or not at all. Do you remove stats and run for 1 hour on water like wsm, or other ways on the 6.4. Do you remove the right block drain also. I am torn between doing it before the cooler so I don't get loose material in the new cooler, or doing it after so I know I have good flow. Because the oil cooler does not feed the egr cooler, I am leaning towards popping the stats, drain and fill and run for 1 hour at high idle. Pull both block drains and flush out and then replace the oil cooler. Vc9 flushes are generally not sold with oil cooler replacements here on 6.4 trucks.

Thanks

I did mine with stats out. Clean water.

After I ran water through the degas bottle with one block drain out at a Time for 10 mins each. Then drained everything, put new stats in, and filled with long life.

If you are going to use a chemical flush whether it be VC-9 or fleetguard restore you need to make sure to get it (and the contaminates you loosened up) all out or you do risk plugging the new cooler up shortly after. I typically don't chemical flush every cooler job that comes through the door.  A good water flush and top off with straight concentrate will be better than the truck has seen in a long time. 

If there's a lot of sandy grit and rust water laying around then a chemical flush is a good idea.  I always flush after the repair and I never put the T-stats back in until the water is clear and I'm satisfied that there isn't a whole lot left inside. 

Not too long ago I bought my own hose, a faucet for the end of the hose and various adapters to make the flushing process so much simpler. It was well worth it

This truck has had enough radiators, and coolant leaks in the past to keep the system clean. I think I'll just drain from the block drains and flush through the degas bottle and not Vc-9. The coolant and bottle don't have any scale or rust. I really don't want to plug a new cooler.