SPW 7.3 IDM

Rate this topic

I have a 2002 F-550 with 129,000 miles and the following problem. Here's what I sent to the hotline describing the problem.

Description of Vehicle Concern:Check engine light flashes when under heavy acceleration.Diagnostics Performed:KOEO self test and KOEO injector electrical test and had codes P0475 and P1276. When the codes are cleared the P1276 won't come back until after it is driven and you make the CEL flash by driving at full throttle up a hill. Pulled valve cover and checked injector harness connector and ohm tested injector, all okay. Engine doesn't miss at any time, even when the light is flashing. I installed a test IDM and went on a long test drive and the CEL never came on. Insalled an OEM rebuilt IDM and now the CEL comes on after you start it and let it idle for 10 seconds and it stays on. The P1276 comes back and now I have P1274. When I clear the codes and run the KOEO self test and KOEO injector electrical test the codes don't come back until you start it and make the light come back on.Parts Replaced:IDM

Here's my question.

Before I try another IDM is it possible the software in the new IDM is more sensitive to set a light for the codes listed than the older IDM's and it's picking up a problem with injectors 4 and 6 when it is running and not on KOEO? 

Now get ready for it, here's their reply.

We have actually determined that the internal hardware in the IDS is too sensitive causing the P1276 codes to set. Since the code does not set when you use your test IDM and the code is now setting at idle where it was only under a load before. We do recommend replacing the IDM again. But we would like you to get the IDM from an outside source. We will want to contact Website: http://remanautoelectronics.com and order (Part number listed on their site as Ford PN XC3Z12B599AA)Sales Ph: 855-723-5755. We will want to change this part out as a SPW warranty and OSP (outside part). Ford warranty does know that we are making these recommendations for this type of repair. 

What would the internal hardware in the IDS have to do with the CEL coming on?

Why are they still selling the IDM if they know there is a problem?

Bruce, have you heard of this company?

I looked on their website and the IDM cost $165 but the customer paid $930 for the Ford one. I think Ford should just buy back their IDM and let the customer buy the aftermarket one.  

I haven't heard of the company but it obviously sounds like you have a bum IDM. A side note is that IH's set an injector circuit fault on this engine when the injector poppets hammer out on older injectors, I remember something about the amperage increases above what is normal the the ECM sets a circuit code.  IH had a big problem with this years ago but they didn't want to change out a bunch of injectors so their fix was to issue a large repair kit (designed to fix lots of injectors) where you removed the magnet, measured the height of the reluctor (square plate bolted to the poppet), and changed the aluminum spacer to a thinner one to correct the height due to the poppet seat  hammering out. If you have the VC off again for some reason I'd pull the magnet(s) on the associated injectors, use brakecleen and shop air to clean the accumulated metallic crud from the area, and verify there is clearance under the reluctor with a feeler gauge. I couldn't find the IKnow letter about it, but I found a reference talking about a 525 injector driver circuit code which referred to the shim kit PN 2594407C91 which is a couple thousand dollars.

I have a feeling that your techline is correct- they may have made a software change in some IDMs that is more forgiving of the hammered poppets and won't set a circuit code for it, the second IDM you put in probably had different software that did not include this.  You may also find that changing the offending injectors might get rid of your code.  I have pictures of the shim kit, depth mike, and a bad poppet seat if you're interested.

Another sidebar is that I've heard of techs cleaning the metallic crud from the magnet area to fix sluggish injectors that won't fire cold.

Good Luck!

That IH kit has long been obsolete.  I think the last time I had my hands on it was 2007.  I would see the 525 code on split shot (usually AD injectors) around 130,000miles.  You need to have several (3 or more) that do not buzz in order for the current draw to be enough to set the fault code.

The IDM came in Friday and I installed it and all tests pass. I guess from now on if I need a 7.3 IDM I'll go with that company even though I don't like going aftermarket, especially with electronics.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Seems Motorcraft made a change last year from a Brazil made to a Portugal made IDM. The ones from Portugal will set a CEL and the P1276 only under a heavy accel with a load. These pipe haulers/hot shot haulers in the west seems to be the ones setting these codes. I have had 3 of these to date. Ran through Fords pinpoint test, did the overlay, with the result to replace IDM. Ended up going with a earlier IDM to stop the CEL.. Customer happy, truck runs great and NO CEL.