04 sick liter crank no start

Rate this topic

got a 04 with low icp pressure removed valve covers and old style stand pipes, installed updated version so i could install block off tools for test purposes and removed ipr and install one that i blocked off for test purposes, was only able to build 260 psi, removed cast iron cover and apply shop air to topp of discharge port to check for air leak with block off tools installed and did not find any leaks, oil is at proper level and has ford oil filter installed, verified oil filter housing fills up within 12 seconds, thought it was a high pressure pump, installed new pump , recheck and still had same pressure 260. is there any common areas to look at for this particular year ? thought it was going to be stc fitting before i realized that it was a earlier buld.

Oh, oh... Wait...  Was there a plastic plug in the bottom of the new pump that may have not been removed?  It's been a while since I've replaced one, so I don't recall if they plugged them or not, or perhaps a loose pump gear?...  Otherwise, if it's deadheaded, and you've verified the oil supply to the pump, I can't think of anything else it could be.  A branch tube issue wouldn't be eliminated by deadheading the system, but you should hear that with an air test.

there was a red plug in pump ;that i removed, will recheck 2 marrow, seams weard that new pump makes same pressure as old pump, maybe missing  air at branch tube or something, taking a beating on this truck

yes icp sensor however was at .2v koeo and truck would not start with icp unplugged, seams like leak because pressure bleeds straight back off when stop cranking and i am using a blocked off ipr, hopefully will report fix today or at least find problem. I am going to take closer look at branch tubes.and discharge line

This is an odd one. That pump dead headed, should hit 3000+ the instant you hit the key. Even with a pretty serious leak, it should make some pressure greater than 260PSI.

I don't have the ICP harness tool so I made my own out of one of those expensive pigtail kits.

Posted Image

have you put a gauge on the supply oil yet? I know you said you did the fill test with the oil filter housing but what is the actual pressure? Worth double checking supply oil to make sure its good

checked base oil pressure at 65 psi cranking, try full field customer ipr and only makes 50 psi, reinstall my fabricated ipr still makes 260, installed air fitting at top of stand pipe in right bank with block off tools installed and hear air at pump area, removed turbo and air coming from turbo drain tube area at high pump cover, removed cover and install air same place while blocking off discharge port that cover would seal and spray discharge line at stc fitting  with water no leaks noticed and no air leak heard at branch tubes, only slight leak past my rubber tip blow gun that tech is holding against discharge tube to try to seal, visual inspect cover no burs or nicks found on cover, really stumped on this truck.

• 4 weeks later...