A new adventure...

Rate this topic

Alex Bruene

So, after nearly 10 years of driving, driving and driving 150km every day, today I moved my tools and shit to a new dealership that is 15 minutes from home.  I have no idea what I'm going to do with all this extra time...  Wish me luck!

First and foremost, best of luck to you and the ones you provide for, on your new journey. I hope that you find that the grass indeed greener on the other side. There are a few hurdles involved with such an endeavor. A new hire, no matter how long in the industry, must prove himself all over again to a certain degree. You have to get a new bay organized to your liking so that efficiency can be maintained,  you have to due an inventory of all the special tools and you pray they have everything or more. You have to get in good with the parts department [most important of all] and there again you hope they know what they are doing.

I would say that one of my keys to a successful move has been to stay the course and not waiver from my work ethic involving automotive repair operations. In other words I have a system that works, I have stuck with it, and management (new or existing) has never been able to change me.

Take it easy the first few weeks and triple check everything you do. This will prevent stupid mistakes that if happened at a place where you are at the top of heap, would be swept under the rug or never even noticed, however will be heavily scrutinized as a new hire.

Lastly, I gotta say that your exiting dealer has got to be up in arms. That is going to be a huge void for them to fill and last I heard they were booked out for months.

Good luck man!Chase the wife around d the house as much as usual can when you have all that spare time. And hopefully you'll catch her once in a while. And take time to tinker and do things with the kids. But good luck to you again!

Jesus I thougt my commute was bad at 128km a day. Now it's 18. I can even drive the hot rod to work.Congratulations man, best of luck.

So when do you get to drive your truck? My commute is 35 kms. each way.

Good luck! I used to commute an hour each way, then I got a job three minutes from home.  I found that the time to decompress was really nice before I got home and it was an adjustment at the new job walking out of my work and into my house in a matter of minutes.

I ended up getting more sleep in the morning

Good luck! I used to commute an hour each way, then I got a job three minutes from home.  I found that the time to decompress was really nice before I got home and it was an adjustment at the new job walking out of my work and into my house in a matter of minutes.

I ended up getting more sleep in the morning

Ive had this experence as well. I used to work a couple blocks away and as nice as it was to be home in less then 5 min its a bit hard to turn the work brain off in that amount of time. I have about a 30min commute now which I like. Gives me time to get into the right frame of mind before and after work on my drive in

• Like 1

The commute was the major factor, but there were a few other things that weighed in to it...  No single reason was enough to make the switch, but all bundled together it was.  There have been too many days, and sometimes whole weeks that I have left for work while my son was still sleeping, and he was back in bed by the time I got home at night.  Now that I have another new baby, I want to focus more on my family, and less on work, money and the hellish drive I was going through every day had me in a pretty shit mood at the end of the day.  For those of you who are unaware of the traffic in the Greater Toronto Area, it is constantly ranked in the top 5 worst traffic cities in North America, and only getting worse.