6.0L surge w/t screenshots

Rate this topic

I know this has been covered before but a rehash never hurts.

2006 F-250 with a prominent surge. I came back from the test drive and knew it was turbo related as most 60 surges are. I took command of the VGT solenoid and had to command it past 50% to get the MGP pid to start registering some PSI. Next it was on to a VVT turbo test with the VMM. Here is the result:

Posted Image

From this shot we can see some serious over shoot on the stair steps. This is usually an indication of a fubar'd solenoid. I just happen to have a known good tester and swapped it in and retested:

Posted Image

Much better graph, and a test drive confirmed the surge was gone.

• Like 1

First solenoid I ever saw do that I wound up letting the customer go because he was a waiter and I could not for the life of me figure it out.  I ended up reading a post on here about it and called the guy the next day to tell him what would fix it......and it did. 

First solenoid I ever saw do that I wound up letting the customer go because he was a waiter and I could not for the life of me figure it out. I ended up reading a post on here about it and called the guy the next day to tell him what would fix it......and it did.

"Hi, I have a driveability concern on my 6.0? Yes, I would also like to wait for it. Tomorrow im going to bring my 5.4 3v in for plugs and exhaust manifolds, and I would also like to wait for that."

I've never run into this, but it's really good to know.

6.0L drivability as a waiter... That kind of stuff pissed me off, but we make people like that wait. I'm not going to skip my lunch because of someone else's poor planning.

I think I have only come across one or two VGT solenoids that were bad over the years. I too somehow obtained a "known good one" so ruling it out when diagnosing is fairly easy. That overshooting on the graph is similar to a sticking turbo.