Repeat P0087 code on 6.7

Rate this topic

Not really a question here just some info for my diesel brothers out there. I've had two F-550 with the 6.7 liters that came in the past few months with the code P0087 which is common, of course I went through the normal motions verified fuel filters were clean, base pressure at 62 psi while driving, fuel quality good with no debris found, no power balance or relative compression issues, the usual stuff right up to pin point test M16 where you disconnect the fuel line at rear of driver side fuel rail while commanding the fuel pressure and volume control valve. Found fuel flowing out so replaced the pressure control valve as per PCED, installed sensor, reset fuel tables, cleared code, and test drove 15 or so miles and verified repair. Or so I thought since the truck came back 150 miles later with vehicle in reduced power mode and code P0087 in memory once again, ran through same diag with the same results. Contact our all mighty Tech Hotline and was told to retorque fuel pressure control valve as per manuel. I can't lie I had no idea this spec existed or where it was (section 303-143, removal and instalation, under the exploded view secton). So I bought my over priced crows foot retorqued sensor, cleared code, cleared fuel tables, retested, and road tested 100 miles and verified repair. That truck has not been back since, we'll call that a win. However my next patient came in under the same circumstances and once again the pin point test lead to the fuel pressure control valve, replaced valve, cleared code, reset everything, and test drove truck 30 miles with no concern. 150 miles later truck was back with the same concern, same test results so I loosened and retorqued pressure control valve, reset everything, and drove truck 100 miles with no concerns. Released truck and what do you know 500 miles later here she comes again with of coarse the same issue. So at this point I contact tech hotline (it was that or take the old air hammer to the side of my head). Their response was interesting so I figured you guys would like to see it........

We have seen some issues where if fuse 33 in the BJB can be open causing the B+ on the IDS to show a over change and the one code that it seems to pick on is the p0087 code. We will want to check F33 in the BJB and make sure it is not open. If it is we will need to install the F33 fuse and retest. If the fuse F33 is not open then we will want to install the driver side fuel rail. We have seen some issues with the accumulator in the rail becoming loose and causing issues. This can also cause a p0087 code. This will come with a new PCV and FRP sensor. Even though the PCV is in the rail it is recommended to loosen and re-torque the PCV. This is because we have seen some issues out of the box with them not being torqued correctly. 

Needless to say the fuse was ok and I have now ordered the needed parts to replace the driverside fuel rail and will let you know how it turns out, just thought it was interesting that even the fuel rails from the factory need to be retorqued. Hope this helps with your future headaches. 

• Like 1

Could it be fuel tank delamination? Had an '11 F 350 CC 84500miles aft tank come apart. Kept changing filters thinking it was fuel gelling over the last few months. Continued to get worse each time. P0087 and derate occurred. Had a little water and debris show up in the filter sump so we pulled the tank to clean and found the lining flaking off. Picture of tank in another thread.

FOMOCO at this point knows that biodiesel is unaviodable. If they still use tanks that delam then they now "Own fuel tank delamination" to borrow from their ad playbook.

How hard or expensive is it to do what the others do and use plastic tank with a metal skid plate to keep the large capacity tank from sagging?

• 5 months later...

I know it is old topic,  I got identical issue.I did pinpoint test for code P0088, it led me to replaced PCV.Code P0088 is now gone but code P0087 came on. Went back and recheck everything, I suspect defective PCV but techline is telling me to re-torque PCV, if re-torque doesn't fixed it then get driver side fuel rail.

I got a funny feeling it is more than that and they are not telling me anything.I have replaced numerous PCV and FRP, have not got any issue except this one.Anyway, what was the fixed?

I had one of these along time ago. Same deal, pcv did not fix it, replacing the rail did. I was told the same, a loose part inside the rail can cause the problem. Wouldn't be too bad to replace the rail except you have to replace the fuel lines  which adds a whole pile of work.

• 1 year later...

Also the pump is quiet on this 2012 f450 when cold , but becomes noisy when switched to the aft pump after getting warm.have already dropped aft tank and found no delamination

I have changed 3 tank selector valves on 2 different trucks for this same concern. 

Labor time for the rail is 5.5hrs, Obviously include time to change the lines from the high pressure pump, but I have had good luck re-using the lines. I just leave the rail loose and snug the lines first. It's worth a shot to try because you can always go back in and change those lines if they leak with no loss of labor. 

The tank selector valve was the fix for this one. It was weird that I had low low fuel pressure on both tanks in the beginning before replacing the low pressure pump :chinrub2: Thanks for all the suggestions and info which helped greatly.