Windows 8

Rate this topic

2nd that ...... my laptop here with windows 7 is running on borrowed time due to damage to its case. i'm going to replace it soon and windows 7 options are pretty much unobtanium

Yep - I was just wondering if anyone here was already doing it. I am looking at going with a touch screen as well.

Effective October 1, 2014, minimum requirements for PTS and IDS users will be Windows 7 Operating

System with Internet Explorer 9 or Internet Explorer 10. Contacts to the Ford technical support centers

will not be supported if users do not meet these minimum requirements.

Windows 8.1 and Internet Explorer 11 will be supported for PTS and IDS with the release of IDS R90 on

April 16, 2014.Windows 8.1, Internet Explorer 10 and 11 After the 16th

You can still get lots of Windows 7 stuff. Just not at your local Best Buy or Office Max.

I have neither a local Best Buy nor Office Max. Any suggestions on where to head? I'm open to brick and mortar stores in Canada or ordering online from Canada or the US.

Had a fuck of a problem with something when I first got it, but I think it was something to do with trying to get it to cooperate with our printer. We almost converted it back to Windows 7 but I think that was going to be an even more of a bitch and eventually a mistake. I have since gotten used to 8, so I am sure they will change it all over again now.

You can still get lots of Windows 7 stuff. Just not at your local Best Buy or Office Max.

I have neither a local Best Buy nor Office Max. Any suggestions on where to head? I'm open to brick and mortar stores in Canada or ordering online from Canada or the US.
I looked on newegg.com last night and they had a bunch of different windows 7 options with the intel I series proccessor. Otherwise you can still order it from lenovo and dell for sure.

I have been looking at HP and Dell - both have windows 7 options available.  I am really wanting to add a touch screen therefore it requires Windows 8 to function. There are also PC's available from both manufacturers that come with Windows 7 loaded and are Windows 8 "ready" and even come with a Win 8 license to upgrade in the future. Since I always keep my computers running many more years than most people I like to have them as up to date as possible and so far I haven't heard anybody running Win 8 that has had any really big issues. 

Keith my currently DELL is a touch screen running windows 7 pro. Its actually about 2 yrs old now

Check out the ATG series of Dell laptops. They are more robust then the normal laptop, they have docking features as well that makes moving it from my desk(with monitor keyboard etc)  to vehicle much easier. Think toughbook without the cost of a toughbook

I have been looking at HP and Dell - both have windows 7 options available.  I am really wanting to add a touch screen therefore it requires Windows 8 to function. There are also PC's available from both manufacturers that come with Windows 7 loaded and are Windows 8 "ready" and even come with a Win 8 license to upgrade in the future. Since I always keep my computers running many more years than most people I like to have them as up to date as possible and so far I haven't heard anybody running Win 8 that has had any really big issues. 

Not so...My HP laptop is touch screen and runs Windows 7.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well, my IDS laptop died last week. Hard drive failure "boot drive cannot be found" error displays on a black blank screen. The hard disk just clicks. Back to my 9-year old laptop that has been the source of my frustration is to be retired. The damn thing is just too slow and now the lid is falling off from the broken hinge mounts. I can't complain at all really as that Dell Inspiron served me very well until It simply became outdated and worn out. All I ever had to do to it was add a lot of RAM and replace the video card and update the operating system a couple of times. I definately got my money's worth for sure.

Just ordered me a new Dell! :rockon: 

An Inspiron 15 7000 series with the forged aluminum body. Only thing I don't like is the lack of an optical drive which these days is not all that much of a problem. There are plenty of external drives available. 

I'll let you know how setting this PC up for use with PTS and IDS goes. A coworker also has just upgrade and after a bit of work he got everything working properly and the addition of a touch screen is proving to be a speedy benefit. I think that the biggest obstacle for him (and likely will be for me) is getting familiar with Windows 8 and just finding your way around the PC and making changes to settings and so on. Maybe I will make a write up  on setting up a Windows 8 machine for IDS and PTS.

Now I need to scrape up some more cash to replace my broken VCM-1  (which is what the money I spent on a new laptop WAS supposed to be used for) 

• 2 weeks later...

I started using my new laptop last week after getting familiar with Windows 8 a little. I can say IDS works just fine with this new OS and both VCM's work properly as well. I did not try the wireless however. It is nice having a touch screen again as it is much faster and less "clunky" navigating through the menus and such as apposed to using a mouse or the touch pad. I thought it would not make a difference... but it does. Now I need to replace my broken VCM-1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Keith I just bought an Inspiron 15 7000 and have been using it for a week now and I really love it. I've been using Windows 8 at home for over a year now so there was no learning curve there except 8.1 is a little different. I need to update my home computer to 8.1 now. The lighted key board is nice in vehicles with dark interiors. Thanks for being the guinea pig.

:thumbup:  'welcome!

The only misbehavior I can report as of now is that if you have the PTS website open and THEN start IDS it freezes. So, before opening my web browser in the morning and logging into FMC Dealer I start IDS. I don't blame WIn 8 or the laptop for that. Seems like a software issue concerning IDS. I am currently using IDS 91.02