I'm doing it all wrong.

Rate this topic

amailloux

So our sales department sells a truck off the back line, AKA hasn't been through the shop.  It is an 06 6.0.  Has all the "goodies" like a K and N hot air intake, and the exhaust is hacked up, and actually welded solid to the frame.  So a tech on the other side of the shop gets it for a used car inspection and lof.  He notices it is a very hard start, and would like to diagnose it.  This all started exactly 4 MONTHS ago to the day.  So he calls me over a few times, and I printed off the hard start worksheet, and a FICM TSB and try to kind of brush it off.  I look under the hood, and there is a heater hose in where the blue cooler hose should be and a large coolant leak at the hose adapter on the oil cooler cover.  Next thing I know, there is an estimate for 5000 dollars for exhaust repairs, and an oil cooler, EGR cooler, 8 injectors, and some harness repair.  exhaust is declined by the customer, but the rest is ok'd.  The guy didn't fix the coolant leak, or even drive the truck.  So I kind of watch, and answer some questions, and then look at the estimate.  He borrows my IPR socket, and removed the intake and oil cooler.  It has a Brand new oil cooler with a green gasket, and a brand new egr cooler that looks oem.  So I asked what his eot-ect delta was and he says I didn't check it.  I asked what his fuel pressure was and he ho hawed around and It was obvious he didn't check it. So anyway he does install a new oil cooler, a new egr cooler, and 8 new injectors. I checked the labor and he had 1.5 hours for the used car inspection and lof.  Then he had 4 additional hours for diagnosis.  Then he had 13.8 hours for the oil cooler and EGR cooler.  Then he had 5.2 hours for the injectors.  He then proceeded to replace the track bar ball joint for 1.5.  He drove it up on the alignment rack, it was all green, and he had 2.8 to set alignment.  He went and drove it and it had a driveline vibration so lets add 2.1 for a new rear u-joint.  Oh and he put some batteries in it also for .8.  He had 31.7 hours.  I let my manager know that the intake and egr cooler must come off to replace the oil cooler and that there was no real diagnosing, and that I felt the customer was screwed out of about 15 hours of labor, and last I knew, the tech kept the time, the customer is set to pay it all, and I am made to look like the asshole.  The only real consolation was on his test drive, he had to be towed in because...... you guessed it, the ipr screen blew out and the ipr stuck open from debris.