Making ends meet

Rate this topic

Brad Clayton

Well against what I really had hopes for when moving to North Carolina, I have had to take on a side gig. I haven't done side work for over a decade (since my kids were in diapers really) and haven't had to for the most part. Working from the wee hours in the morning to the.....wee hours in the evening is not what I had in mind at this point in my career [a quarter of a century in].

The biggest thing that sticks in my mind and brings this topic up at the moment is......I have never in my entire life, removed so many valve covers and IPR valves from 6.0L engines. Now that these engines are well out of warranty and in the hands of Indy shops, it's a lot of dummy plugs, stand pipes, injectors, and swapped in IPR's.

The shop I moonlight at has one of the cheapest labor rates I have ever heard of at $65 an hour so needless to say they are swamped. There long time diesel guy parted ways and I was called in for reinforcement. The sad thing is I only put in a few hours a night and some Saturdays and I make about the same as I do at the dealer. The shop is better equipped than my dealer also. The shop owner is very committed to doing things right.

I have noticed a lot of 6.4's running around and can only imagine those will start rolling in next. Well, guess I better get some rest, tomorrow evening I have to dead head a 7.3 with a HPOP that I think is pooched, replace an IPR on a 6.0 that crapped out after an oil cooler replacement, and do a timing belt and plug wires on a classic Thunderbird turbo coupe.

In 2005 I moved to North Carolina then I moved back to Pa in 2009.

This I can tell you for fact, some cost of living in North Carolina is cheaper than living in Northeast unfortunately pay scale is less too. 

There are no way I can make same amount of yearly earning, and lived like I used to. Like I mention, some cost of living in North Carolina is cheaper than Northeast but cost of fuel, water, electricity and food are higher than Northeast.

As much as I would love to leave Ford I can't convince myself it would be any better anywhere else.  I do some side work for a towing company but I spend so much time at the dealership it's hard to find time anymore. Yeah side pay is nice but I hate running around to 2 places and hoping I have the tools I need.   

I think that the current economic climate makes this hard Brad. I feel your pain. Anywhere you go you will find that people are living with the effects of high energy costs and a poor economic outlook with only a few exceptions where the local economy is booming. Your biggest problem is that wages where you are lower than where you were. Wages are fairly decent here in N Jersey but fuel and food costs have risen significantly. I fear having to make a change and in some ways I am trapped where I am if I want to continue  my lifestyle which is by no means extravagant. Two kids, a mortgage, two cars... where the hell am I going to go?

I shop price for EVERYTHING. Take advantage of sales. I rarely buy tools anymore and my wife and I rarely buy things for ourselves as we take care of our children first. My wife does not work either which is difficult because a 2nd income would be beneficial. I dread the thought of taking on another job so I have total respect for your effort. Buck up little scupper - you are alive and doing fine.

Brad I definitely get it. I had the same plans when moving from the Yukon to PEI. Then 8 months later I see our savings being scratched away to nothing and some very bad financial trends emerging. To make it work I took a job in Alberta while the wife is at home finishing her contract as a teacher.

We sold our (first) home and it's about to close at the end of June, 13 months after our initial purchase. Thank goodness we were able to do it privately and avoid any realtor commission which would have put us in the red.

When we came to the realization that our new place wasn't going to work out it hit us hard. We were talking about the situation with a few close friends and one of them came back with some pretty sage advice: successful people realize their mistakes very quickly.

We've been a single income family (unless you take my loving brides disability pension into account) for most of our over 40 years together. There's a girlie bike in the driveway instead of the bagger I would like, The Mustang was a V-6 until it had to be liquidated. 

We should be happy with those things we do have instead of unhappy without the things we don't. Today I woke up on the sunny side of the dirt.  :grampy:

• Like 2

We should be happy with those things we do have instead of unhappy without the things we don't. Today I woke up on the sunny side of the dirt.  :grampy:

In all the years I've known you (even though we never got to shake hands) Jim, I can't think of any better words I've read from you.

• Like 1

We've been a single income family (unless you take my loving brides disability pension into account) for most of our over 40 years together. There's a girlie bike in the driveway instead of the bagger I would like, The Mustang was a V-6 until it had to be liquidated.  We should be happy with those things we do have instead of unhappy without the things we don't. Today I woke up on the sunny side of the dirt.  :grampy:

Never said I wasn't happy or thankful for what I have but sometimes we do need a reminder. I feel very blessed that I can provide for my family. As I recall Brad moved to North Carolina to be closer to his daughter and new grandchild. I can't think of a better reason to risk the total upheaval of ones life. As I get older Jim I realize that what you stated Jim is quite profound. I have lost several people who are close to me and quite a few people I have befriended and respected very much. I often quote you about being "on the sunny side of the dirt" which quite simply puts things into perspective... especially on cloudy days.

One thing I have realized through all of this is that I am now being forced to make changes...for the better. Before when things were comfortable and money was budgeted with little effort, we were just going through the motions. Now I am having to re-examine everything and considering some big changes in my career. It's all for the better in the long term, I feel. And I am grateful that I haven't had to watch my grandchild grow up on Facebook and Skype. 

I am not very good with change. But like Yukon Tyler 's friend stated you need to recognize your mistakes to be successful. Or recognize the signs of a bad situation coming. When we see these thing s and react it is a good thing but can feel strange. Getting stuck in comfortable situation that is causing you to fall behind financially will be hard to deal with later. Enjoying life is a top priority with our family and like it or not money has a great influence on that. My daughter has some learning development issues and that really made us figure out what is important in life. My wife has a job teaching that she loves but does not pay very good, but I think that loving what you do is way better that money. That being said when I see my year end dollars going down the last few years, warranty times lower and lower, me getting older. I had to find something else. I found out very quickly that this industry is not the place to be happy and make a decent simple living, while getting older. Anyway you do it its going to be difficult, but you will know when you have made the best choice for your family.