low engine braking down hill 99 7.3L 6SPD

Rate this topic

Customer feels his truck not holding back when going down hill,has new exhaust up- pipes and new  clutch assy installed a month ago,no codes also has 80hp power hungry performance program installed.millage is about 220,00 miles, is afraid to pull his trailer to hills for his Constitution  business because he will have to ride his brakes down the hill.

What kind of condition is the engine in?  Could it be worn out, as in dusted?  Nearly every 7.3 I see around here has a broken air cleaner box.

Another option if he tows alot is offer as I have done to my truck which works great with the 6 speeds, I wired in my EBPV to an on-off-on toggle switch in the dash so it could be a cheap exhaust brake, or kick it on to warm up the engine and override the PCM control of it. My reasoning for the 3 position toggle, is I can completely shut it off so the PCM cant control it, turn it on manually, or allow the PCM to run it normally(which it doesn't even do that anymore, so its either on or off on mine now) I will say it works rather nice pulling heavy trailers for the extra braking effort, which definitely helps save my truck brakes. I just recently had to replace the front pads about a month ago, as they had been the same pads from when the truck rolled off the lot in 99.