2011 f-350 will not complete a manual regen

Rate this topic

I have 6.7 with p2463 p246c that will kick me out of the manual regen and gives me code 18. I have tried five times to do a manual re regen without success. Code 18 is for the dpf excessively plugged. I was just wondering if anyone has run into this and been able to complete the manual regen and save the dpf. This truck has 152 000 kms and is out side warranty. I have the PCM up to date with ids 90.03 just to note.

Can you post engine and idle hours? We have had trucks with high idle times that have plugged the DPF at similar mileage numbers.

I recently had a 2012 in that is an airport firefighting rig. Sits around idling a lot. I tried to perform a manual regen but IDS kept timing out? I have seen this before but never knew why that happens. And not much time goes by and the time bar on the screen is somewhere in the middle. Makes no sense. on the second try when this happened I let it continue and the regen did complete. Now I know this is not the same issue as the OP but I wanted to post this anyway.

Did you ever find out what the problem was Steve Mutter?

The air filter was plugged( looks like it got wet ) the map sensor was plugged with carbon and I updated the PCM. I did the pinpoint tests for the two codes and did not find any other faults, I called the hotline and asked if there was anyway I could get it to complete a manual regen. They just told me it is too plugged up and that it will need to be replaced. My dpf pid reads 11psi at wot. The customer gave the go ahead for the scr/dpf if needed but I would like to try a fool the pressure sensor some how to see if I can get it to complete. I just don't know how I could fool the sensor yet.

I took a cheetah bed seating tool to one very recently (Be sure to do this outside).  I also power washed one out, and was able to get a regen to complete on both.  1 was a 6.4, and the other was a dmax.

The air filter was plugged( looks like it got wet ) the map sensor was plugged with carbon and I updated the PCM. I did the pinpoint tests for the two codes and did not find any other faults, I called the hotline and asked if there was anyway I could get it to complete a manual regen. They just told me it is too plugged up and that it will need to be replaced. My dpf pid reads 11psi at wot. The customer gave the go ahead for the scr/dpf if needed but I would like to try a fool the pressure sensor some how to see if I can get it to complete. I just don't know how I could fool the sensor yet.

Could you try to make up a hose with a bleed hole in it to lower the reading? If it is to full to regen it may not be worth the time though.

Could you try to make up a hose with a bleed hole in it to lower the reading? If it is to full to regen it may not be worth the time though.

I know that people do this on occasion but it is a bad idea.  There is a good reason we cap the soot load at a certain level.  If you are able to execute a regen on a DPF that far overloaded there is a good chance it will runaway on you and melt the substrate.  I don't know if blowing/washing it out is a very good idea either but it is better than forcing a regen on a severely overloaded filter.

I think cetane is right. I looked at the rear of the scr/dpf and it looks like it is starting to melt down. I did not find any liquid contamination in the downpipe. I put a new scr/dpf and a nox sensor, re set the tables,performed a dpf re set and had the key off for three minutes. Cleared all codes and road tested. Running like a champ now.